• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Viable Seed

I have done a search on this site and couldnt really find what i was after.

I am wondering how to tell if seed is viable before planting it and wasting time on it for no reason.
Main reason i want to know is that i am wanting to trade seeds with some people on here but i want to make sure i am sending seeds that will actually germinate.

Cheers.

try the seeds from that same batch if its germinating or not? from there u can get a percentage of your batches germination rate. 10 seeds if one did not germinate than it has a 90% germination rate.

:)

Usually if the seeds are not cracked and sink when in water they are good. Not a rule by any means but works pretty good.

You will soon learn which drying techniques work best after many scotch... err attemps. Take into account your climate and dry accordingly.
Better to dry slowish than deprive them of moisture altogether.

I find they won't all sink but still come up. I got some ghost seeds and man they looked good, but no go. Now I'm all out and no super hot for me this year...

I made the huge mistake of buying some Bhut Seeds on "You Know Who Bay" the listing title said as Easy Grow with a germ rate of 80%+ grown here on our farm. When I received the smokey brown & crumbly seeds I knew they wouldn't be viable.. What a waste of time.. I know one thing is for sure, if the seed can't at least remain in one piece it's probably not viable.

At the moment to dry my seeds i get the seeds out of the pod/pods and place them in between a couple of bits of paper towel and they just sit in the lounge room for a couple of weeks.

Is this a good way to dry them or are there better ways?

Its a good way, to get them to dry faster put them on top of you fridge bear the back. The warm air rising will help heaps :dance:

When your seeds are dry, you could take a random selection of say 10 and try to germinate them in a wet paper towel in a baggie or by any methond you see fit and then you can get a random sample percentage of germination like srin2 mentioned.

When I dry my seeds, I just spread them out on a paper plate and place somewhere mildly warm like the top of the fridge as Nova said

I received some seeds like that from Kaiser Seed & Pepper Co (given to me, I didn't buy them). It looked like they had been through a dehydrator. I sowed them and got zero germination. Now if I can just get those Ancho seeds from 2004 to sprout . . . .

I made the huge mistake of buying some Bhut Seeds on "You Know Who Bay" the listing title said as Easy Grow with a germ rate of 80%+ grown here on our farm. When I received the smokey brown & crumbly seeds I knew they wouldn't be viable.. What a waste of time.. I know one thing is for sure, if the seed can't at least remain in one piece it's probably not viable.

ok so as soon as it becomes time to plant some seeds for my new season i will start experimenting.
Or at least a couple months before the real time to start seeds just to make sure lol

Back