• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Use it or Lose It

At one point i was eating my food with some hot habaneros, doing Hot Wing Challenges 300,000 SHU then I started messing around with some Bhuts, the Habaneros and Wings stoped been spicy, I ran out of Bhuts and Habaneros were tasting any good, that was about a month ago, I didnt eat anything for those 30 Days, Now we got some Supermarket Habaneros and Wow they are unTolerable, could this be because I stoped eating spicy foods?

Could also just be some hot habs. My supermarket habs tend not to be all that hot most of the time. But every once and a while they get a batch that surprises me.

Probably a combination of factors.

I picked up some habs from a "Mexican" supermarket called Baja Ranch that were substantially hotter than the ones I'm used to...but if those are bothering you more than bhuts I'm guessing its a tolerance issue.

I don't eat a lot of spicy foods in the winter and I find after a month or two off my tolerance tanks again. I don't get as big of a rush as some people so I have less of a reason to eat superhots every day. Keep eating out of your threshold and it'll come back.

Same here. I just had my first fresh bhut of the year last week. I ate half of it with dinner and it was seriously hot. At the end of last year I was eating them at nearly every meal.

After reading this thread I immediately grabbed a scotch bonnet and ate it. I've been trying to improve my tolerance for a couple months now, but have been slacking the past couple weeks.

Jay That is what I need, ive been slacking it alot and Now I need to get my tolerance up before I lose it all. Just for the reason that I ate 1 habanero and I almost died, shame on me, I remember when I use to eat them like skittles

I basically rebuild my tolerance every summer. I still eat spicy foods in the winter, but always seem to crave them more in hot weather. Doesn't make sense to me... Though I have read that people in India use Jolokia peppers to help prevent overheating.

But I am working on building my tolerance back up for the summer months... It is always kind of fun. :)

Wacky isn't it? Something about the nice warm weather make me think of spicy foods. In the winter I want comfort food that doesn't make me burn that much but in the summer it's all about the heat and the BBQ. Plus the steady harvest throughout the summer helps stimulate that appetite for heat :hell:

Supermarkets up here in Canada usually don't sell anything hotter than Green Thai peppers, so I remember the first time I ate a fresh Habanero. Face went red, started sweating, mouth and lips were numb. I remember thinking to myself "this is agony...". These days I put one or two in just about everything I eat, and love it! :onfire: Can't wait to step it up to super-hots!

Back