wanted Updated..Newbie looking for a pepper assortment!

Hey everyone! I've got the pepper bug and I'm excited to try my hand at growing (and EATING) new and unique peppers. We grew some bhut jolokias this year and I'd like to get some more varieties, some to grow over the winter and some to start in the spring. Anyone on here have a lot of these varieties? I'd be happy to pay for seeds, I just can't quite afford what some of the websites around want for them (poor college student). These are just some ones I picked out off of pepper joe's that I'd read about, I'd be open to any other suggestions for delicious and spicy peppers.
Carolina Reaper
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Butch T Trinidad
Peter peppers
thai suns
white or other habaneros
filius blue
atomic starfish
bolivian rainbow pepper
yellow bhut jolokia
7 pot
5 color marble
chocolate bell pepper
The thai suns and peter peppers I was hoping to grow over the winter in pots. If anyone has any other recommendations on pepper plants that would do good in pots let me know as well so I know what to look for!

Welcome from California.
You can get some fresh pods on here right now and save the seeds for whatever you like. People are selling cheap right about now mix boxes and all. Including some of the stuff on your list.

Thank you for the reply! I was considering that, but I thought I'd post this up and see if I could get most of the assortment in one go, and perhaps cheaper than buying the peppers. I don't know, I'm all new to this! I'll give it a day or 2 then if I don't have any good offers I may just settle for a box of assorted superhots.

I got most of my seed from purchased pods. To me, it is win/win. You get to taste the pod and you get seeds that are fresh. And if the plants were open pollenated, it's possible a cool cross might pop up!

I'm with DocNrock. I'd never consider it "settling" for a box of fresh pods. At least if it's something you've never tried, you know what you'll be growing the following year. Much better than growing a bunch of plants and finding you hate the taste of them.
By the way, welcome. :)

Last year an easy 95% of the seeds I got in trade from purchased pods didn't grow true.
Some were no where near being even the same in heat or pod shape etc.
Most of the super hots I grew this season were crosses that weren't more than Habanero hot.

Even with isolated plants,if the original pod was grown from a cross it probably won't grow true.
With all the unstable stuff being sold,it's harder and harder to get anything but crosses these days.

I'm pretty much done trading these days as far as the popular stuff goes.
I wasted too much garden space on crosses I didn't want and wouldn't have grown.
A LOT of seeds went into my mystery mix last year...

I've caught crap lately for sending people seeds I traded for and had extra that didn't grow true for whoever I sent the seeds to.
I'm going back to buying seeds from vendors like rainbow chile seeds , Peppermania etc.

Hi Badger....
Look my profile......
I have a few on my list that may be of interest.

Hugs.
Tuca

Hi Badger....
Loog my profyle......
I have a few on my list that may be of interest.

Hugs.
Tuca

Last year an easy 95% of the seeds I got in trade from purchased pods didn't grow true.
Some were no where near being even the same in heat or pod shape etc.
Most of the super hots I grew this season were crosses that weren't more than Habanero hot.

Even with isolated plants,if the original pod was grown from a cross it probably won't grow true.
With all the unstable stuff being sold,it's harder and harder to get anything but crosses these days.

I'm pretty much done trading these days as far as the popular stuff goes.
I wasted too much garden space on crosses I didn't want and wouldn't have grown.
A LOT of seeds went into my mystery mix last year...

I've caught crap lately for sending people seeds I traded for and had extra that didn't grow true for whoever I sent the seeds to.
I'm going back to buying seeds from vendors like rainbow chile seeds , Peppermania etc.

...and some crosses may not be that great.

That said, if you want something that has the highest chance of growing true, buy seeds direct from one of the reputable vendors on this site. I have done this, as well.

Most all of us have OP pods. I am with most that fresh is the way to go, you at least can see where the seed came from. Nothing worse than waiting 6 months to get disappointed by mislabeled seed. Sure, it may end up a cross but at least you know part of the cross. :) Good luck in your quest, look for a good mixed SFRB, I may do a few as well.

Please do not suggest that I am looking for handouts, that's not it at all. With the varieties that I posted, pepperjoe would cost me $60+. For seeds and for a new hobby my budget and my wife would never allow that much :rolleyes:. I actually wrote pepperjoe an email asking if they would put together a discounted pack similar to some of the other discounted packs on their site except with slightly different contents and they were unwilling to work with me at all. Please do not post on my thread if you are going to be rude and detract from it.

I've found throughout all my other hobbies that the best thing you can do for good information and (in other hobbies) hobby supplies etc is find a good forum with active and knowledgable members who want to help others get into the hobby. I have kept saltwater aquariums for years and the absolute best place to get corals (similar to plants) is from other hobbyists. I figured this would be the same with growing peppers.

Joyner let me know if you decide to sell a good mixed SFRB, you have many that I want, especially the thai suns.

Please do not suggest that I am looking for handouts, that's not it at all... Please do not post on my thread if you are going to be rude and detract from it.

I don't see where anyone suggested that or was being rude. I think we were all trying to be helpful. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone whom I have gotten SFRBs and seeds from so far! The only few things I'd still really like to get are some white habaneros, peter peppers, thai suns, and peach bhuts....maybe some chiltepins. Anyone have fresh pods they are selling or seeds?

Thanks to everyone whom I have gotten SFRBs and seeds from so far! The only few things I'd still really like to get are some white habaneros, peter peppers, thai suns, and peach bhuts....maybe some chiltepins. Anyone have fresh pods they are selling or seeds?
I have white habaneros, peach bhuts and chiltepin amarillos.

Back