• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Upcoming Harvest Question

Hey All!

Long time lurker and fan :)

I have an upcoming problem I am unsure of what to do with.

I have about 4-5 plants each of 4 different varieties and they all have pods but some seem to be further along than others and some pods will be ready before the others.

Is there a way of storing them until they are all ripe before I process them? Freeze, cool dry place, etc?

You can de-seed them and either freeze or dehydrate them as they ripen. What you do depends on your intention with them.

BTW, Welcome to THP.

What do you plan on doing with them? Unless you're going to munch on them or pickle them, freezing is a good option for just about every other use.

Welcome. My processing gets them cleaned, decapped, halved, and froze unless I am making salsa(i like the big chunks in there)

a few ripe pods every other day are perfect if you cook with them. If you are trying to make a batch of hot sauce freeze them. welcome to the club!

Welcome dolo.  I'd say you can keep them fresh in the fridge for a couple weeks.  Then after that you're gonna have to dry them or freeze them.

I plan on stringing mine up and adding pods to the string as they come off the plants to dry.

M

Back