• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Trunk canker / rot?

Went to dig up one of my plants to move to a new home and discovered this:

IMG_7703.jpg

Any ideas?

Probably best just to dispose of the thing, eh? :(

dang gas....it looks like old cutworm damage to me...from when the plant was smallish...did you have any problems this year with cutworms?

how about a pic of the whole plant?

I haven't seen any cutworm around or observed any similar damage before... however, I have learned that as far as bugs and grubs go, that doesn't necessarily mean anything!

The plant is looking a little worse for wear ATM due to the possums around here who love nothing better than a snack of pepper plant (the reason I was planing on moving it to my other growing location):

IMG_7629.jpg

Prior to the possums having their way, it appeared quite healthy:

IMG_7462.jpg

As it is now, it is putting out new growth all over the place, but I just discovered this:

IMG_7704.jpg

IMG_7707.jpg

:scared:

I'm thinking a good chance it may be related?

Although the plant is certainly worse for wear ATM, it is very much still alive and showing it wants to stay that way. Sure would be a shame to let it go.....

EDIT:

Hmmm... just had another look at the "wound" and discovered two fungus gnats hanging out in it......

(But not without my good friend Hypoaspis Miles... :D)

try this gas...

do yo have any parafin wax?.....or a candle?

wash the area pretty good removing as much of the dirt as you can...if you have a light brush, brush it.....then drip enough wax on the "sore" to completely seal it....seems I remember my grandmother doing that with grafted plants...the wax will keep the nasties away from the "good stuff"...

I don't know about the stem...will those black spots brush off or are they growing out of the stem?

Is it just the pic or is there bluish gray fungus all over the (mulch?) ground as well as the damaged stem? Are those rocks? I'm wondering if wind kept rubbing the stem against a rock when it was smaller and that combined with fungal growth wore it away further.

While the plant previously had a fair amount of foliage, I see no peppers on it. Is this simply because it is winter or some other issue? Personally I would leave the plant there and start (or buy) another one for the new location.

:lol: if that last picture you posted was a pine tree out in the East Texas Piney woods, I would be looking for a buck.... :rofl:

he's got his rub started...

The bluish grey stuff is actually the garden soil in the bed. I put the lack of pods down to being a Winter thing, but don't know enough to rule out other causes! The plant was a very late start and pretty much "grew up" in Autumn.

Upon closer inspection around the base of the plant, I have also discovered slugs. I'm thinking now the black marks on the stems is probably related to them and/or their slime? Might they have something to do with the wound too??

Cutting/wear of some kind combined with fungal growth wear really sounds and looks on the money at this point. Thanks for your input, guys!

Might give your grandmother's wax sealing method a burl, AJ! Should I be cleansing the wound with H2O2 or something too, you reckon?

washing it with peroxide is a good idea gas.....

Back