• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

tricking people into eating things

People who do this really tick me off. It reveals something dark about their character. I actually dated a woman who was quite fond of doing this. I made a squirrel casserole and she tried to get people to eat it without knowing it had squirrel.
Some hunters do this. "Oh try this beef" snicker snicker.
I don't even like it when people are pushy about a meal. Tofu seems to be the worst. If you don't like it some people will insist you try their tofu.
I don't know if it is broader experience with these people or the concept itself that bugs me. People should be able to decide what doesn't go in their bodies. If you think that the decision is based on them being squeamish or close minded that doesn't give you the right to trick them to put things in their body. What it reveals is a lack of empathy and a scary level of smugness. If you've done it you get put on sociopath status.
No one I know currently does this and I haven't seen it in a long time. I've eaten bugs, century eggs, various wild animals including rodents. So I am not squeamish. I don't like feet, kimchee, or tofu that's it. Just a random rant.

Yes, I totally agree. Leave those pranks for the college dorms, if at all.
When it comes to eating hot food, it goes without saying, some people just don't like it. Period.
You will never change their mind, espescially by tricking them.
As "professionals" here at THP, we should all be advocates for "responsible sharing".
We all know how easy it would be to slip somebody something, but that doesn't make it right.
People who get off on that are shallow minded, and have a messed up moral compass.

That said, I have met plenty of smart asses who say things like...
"aw man, I can handle heat, gimme what you got"... After trying to warn them, even telling them NO!...
I'll gladly burn their faces off just to humble them, and THAT is fun.

General public- absolutely no tricking! I try to explain how hot something is relative to something well known like Tabasco

Mr.Macho "gimme yer hottest"---O-kaaaaay! You Asked For It! And that I enjoy~~~

Now I do admit to continually suckering my brother-in-law into trying the new sauces and other stuff. He knows I make HOT stuff, and he's been there taste-testing from the very first batch of salsa 20 years ago. And he still falls for it every time..."Here, try this new sauce. It's not that hot...TRUST ME ;) " :lol: For the record, he does eat Sriracha and other hot products.

I like to put chili powder on my food. At work (It has happened before) some of your food may get eaten before you can make it to lunch.

Since I began eating hot food this hasn't happened but one day I can see myself walking in and my food will be all over the wall or floor, I will laugh.

Then remember Chiliheads know water does nothing, the average person does not. So I will Laugh more.

I don't even like it when people are pushy about a meal. Tofu seems to be the worst. If you don't like it some people will insist you try their tofu.
I don't know if it is broader experience with these people or the concept itself that bugs me. People should be able to decide what doesn't go in their bodies.

Yup and nothing worst then vegetarians that put down those that eat meat.

Man became smarter because of meat. Squirrel and small game are good for you. Meat makes you smarter, and grow strong and healthy.

I've tricked nieces and nephews into eating fish several times by simply cutting it into chunks before I fry it. I tell them it's chicken nuggets, and they love it. Same thing with deer and other stuff they won't willingly eat. A cheeseburger is a cheeseburger to them. They never have a clue. I guess that's different though. I would never do that to an adult that doesn't eat fish or deer, and I would be angry if someone did it to me. That's not a problem for me though, because I've never found a food that I refused to eat. I'll eat anything as long as it's edible.

I'll eat anything as long as it's edible.
Me, too. But in my book, black pepper is not edible!

I'm on the fence about tricking little kids about food. They do sometimes get weird thoughts in their heads about food - like my kids decided at one point they didn't like eggplant. Only I had never fixed it for them at that point. They had heard some other person state he didn't like eggplant, and that sealed it in their minds. We'd go to the grocery store, and they'd say "ewwww, eggplant!" when they saw it. Then one day we went to a restaurant and I ordered eggplant parmigiana, but they didn't hear what I ordered. My order came, they asked what it was, and I told them "my food." They kept asking, and I said I would not tell them what it was, but they could try a bite if they wished. They both tried it and said they really liked it. I then told them what it was, and they both got the "I just tried and liked eggplant????" look on their faces - priceless. Yeah, they both eat eggplant with no hesitation now.

That said, they didn't really know if they liked eggplant at that time or not - they had never actually tried it before. To me, that's totally different from having tried something and disliking it, whether it's a kid or an adult. If someone's tried something and stated they dislike it, then I respect that, regardless of their age.

Still, people have various reasons for not trying some things. Maybe they think squirrels are too cute to eat. Maybe the idea of eating a reptile keeps them from trying alligator. Or maybe they're vegetarian, etc. I encourage people to try things they have never tried before, and try to get over cultural differences, but would never push anyone uncomfortably to eat something they don't want to, and would never push anyone to eat something they object to for moral or religious reasons. And out and out lying to someone about anything, including food, really goes against my grain - I don't find anything amusing about telling someone something is chicken, for example, when it's really squirrel. Let them decide for themselves based on factual information.

we mis-led the young nieces to try fresh cooked crab dipped in melted butter..... oooOOOoooooohhhhhHhhhhhhhh....yea.......

the young-uns were 3-11 years old. My brother had told me "they {as a family in general} don't like fish and don't eat seafoods" ...he didn't think anyone would eat the 10 fresh crabs I brought to the campsite.

Welll... fresh from the bay Dungeness crab is a sin unto itself! And something that the young-uns needed to taste. The 19-y/o girls helped with the ruse for the little girls when we said it was sea chickens... or chickens from the sea... or something like that. Those little girls polished off 1/2 a crab each.

It is sad that a child won't eat something if it's not labeled "chicken".... And I'm super happy to report that the little girls scarffed that crab and even the next day, we had some more fresh crab. My brother and I got into a heated discussion about the merits of what to feed the children. He'd rather pay less and buy a bag of chips or pre-packaged macaroni product that had no nutirtional value as long as the little one's tummies feel full rather than take a little time to prepare a meal with fresh veggies that will give the babies some nutrition. For him it was only about the money to stop the kids from feeling hungry, no consideration for nutrition.

Now- about eggplant----my mom was an adventurous cook, which is triple the challenge since my dad won't even eat an onion. Meat, potatoes, a veg....that's it for my dad. I can stomach liver, brussel sprouts (actually like those!) and many other non-mainstream food items.

Unfortunately, for us kids...growing up...we had to do the "eat 2 bites " thing. And on one evening the main entree was eggplant. I won't go into details but the end result of (and extended stay at the dinner table was..) :sick:

That's what I'm talking about. Little kids don't know what's best for them. That's up to the adults to decide for them. Most kids would only eat McDonalds, candy, and soda every single day if they had the choice. I grew up eating whatever my parents put on the table (which was good healthy food). I didn't have a choice, and I think that's the way it should be. Once they get older they can make those decisions for themselves.

Sorry for getting off topic frosty.

Back