• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Total Newb Question :-)

Hi!

Forgive my absolute beginners question. :onfire:

I'd like to know if I take seeds out of a fresh chilli I buy in a shop and plant them, will it grow normally and with good results? Or is there some special selection and treatment of packaged seeds that makes them grow better? Like with apples where planting any seed won't guarantee a good results.

The reason I ask is because I understand it is already getting a bit late to start growing, and ordering seeds will take a week to 10 days. Maybe it would be better just to go to a speciality shop and buy some interesting chillies and use the seeds?

I'm enthusiastic! :D

It will grow okey, but do dry them first before you plant them (3 day for me), after it soaked with tap or mineral water for 1 day than plant it. cmiiw

happy growing

They will grow but may not come out as you hope. Some of the reasons for this is the peppers may have cross pollinated with other types of peppers grown with them or near them. Often I have seen commercial growers grow their produce in long wide rows with different types in each row sometimes the same kind of crops sometimes not. Another reason that some may care about and others not is if you want a certain strain or flavor as not all peppers of the same type taste the same. And last and maybe the most important for you is length of time needed to produce its crop. Most types of peppers have short, medium and long season strains or cool and hot weather ones. If you are new to growing peppers might want to grow the bulk of them in strains known to do well in your area of the world and then grow a few others of the more challenging ones that may not produce as well. This way you should get a good crop while honing your pepper growing skills. Good luck and you will find many on here willing to help.

Get some that are fully ripe...IE green jalapenos probably won't germ for you (but some may). Also, some store varieties are F1 hybrids which means they may not grow true to the pod you bought if they grow. You should be able to pick up some seeds at a plant nursery or home improvement store when it starts to warm up. Plus, you should have plenty of time to get a start going. Your average last frost date is 6 may...so you have time to order seeds and plant the varieties that you really like. As mentioned...you really need to go with short season varieties unless you have a heated greenhouse to finish the season in.

Don't forget that some seeds go into dormancy. Reason would make you think a fresh ripe pepper seed would germinate quicker than one that is months old. But this isn't always true. Seeds natural reaction is to go into a dormant stage due to the upcoming change of season in it's natural surroundings. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say what varieties tend to have this effect on the seeds. Go buy one, (ripe like stated above) and put it in some seed starter. See what happens. you can always go to a local nursery and get yourself some pepper plants that they have started for you, that is if you are outside of the window of time to start your own seeds. Good luck

Thanks for the info guys!

I went out today and bought a bunch of Peppers. I'll remove some seeds, dry them for 3 days then try to start the process.

I bought:

- Yellow Habaneros
- Red Habaneros
- Cerry Peppers
- Finger Hot Peppers
- Long Hot Peppers
- Thai Hot Chillies

Those might not be the right names, but that's what they are called at the shop and on the receipt.

If it works, great! If not, no big deal. I have one package of Jalapeño seeds that I will use if everything else fails.

All that was $3.50 Canadian!

I would also buy some legit seed from a legit buyer (not ebay) so you can get a funky exotic variety going too. It copsts the same amount of money and time to grow a chilli you can by at the shop as it does to grow a chilli that you can only get off your plants.

I always recommend people buy there chilli seeds from a supply that is close-ish to them. If you can buy seed in your own country or you can get it from Finland... Go for local.

Also check germination techniques for your specific seed. Some more exotoic seed takes weeks to germinate. Some seed (like the Thai) take a few days.

I'll look into getting some seeds online too. I'd like to grow Yellow Scorpion, Fatalii, and Bhut Jolokia just for the fun of it. Honestly, not sure what I'll do with them once they grow though. I like heat, but those are really over the top for me. :hell: I just ate one of the Yellow Habaneros I bought today and even that is pretty rough!!! I can't imagine eating something 5 times hotter.

That fatalii will be about the same as those habs...not horrible heat and they're supposed to be delicious!!! When choosing your seeds (especially from the peppers that are green) take the time to look through them and find ones that have a c shaped lump in them. That is the plant embryo...so if you can't see it, or its not very well pronounced it might not go for you. Good Luck! The reds/oranges should work for sure!

Shane

Back