• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Top leaves of seedlings discolored

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
One of my Little Elf Seedlings is starting to look like it is burning....is this too much nitrogen?

littleelf1219073dr1.jpg
[/IMG]

Pam quote:
What are you growing in? That doesn't look like toxicity as much as it looks like a deficiency.

Response:
Am growing in miracle grow potting soil that has tomato/pepper seedling fertilize mixed in from seedman.com.

Potawie Quote:
The soil looks a little dry too. How often do you water and what are you fertilizing with?

Response:
Water them daily with about 3-4 ounces of distilled water. I have them under a fan to strenghen the seedlings so the circulating air dries the top of the soil out pretty quickly. Each time I water, I see a small amount come out the bottom. Fertilize....used a tomato/pepper seedling transplant fertilize from seedman.com....don't have the container in front of me and can't find it on his website. Weekly I water with about 3-4 ounces of 1.5/4/3 fertilize disolved in a gallon of water.

Now I am wondering about too much water...root rot....have not had any experience with root rot, but If the roots are effected, it seems the nutrient uptake capability of the roots would be hampered making it seem like a deficiendy of some sort......make sense to you?

And what is funny, this is the only plant that is showing those color changes. The other plants in the photo are also little elfs' that were started the same time and treated the same.

AlabamaJack said:
Pam quote:
What are you growing in? That doesn't look like toxicity as much as it looks like a deficiency.

Response:
Am growing in miracle grow potting soil that has tomato/pepper seedling fertilize mixed in from seedman.com.

Ok, hazarding a guess...something in the Miracle Grow and fertilizer combo is preventing uptake of one of the micro-nutrients. You don't need to water with distilled water, and what you're seeing does not look like over watering to me.

My suggestion would be to take it out of the pot, gently wash away the potting soil from around the roots, then plant it in something that doesn't have fertilizer in it. Give it one treatment of iron or even a complete fertilizer, then leave it alone for a few weeks. Complete being a fertilizer that has *all* the micro-nutrients.

Pam said:
Ok, hazarding a guess...something in the Miracle Grow and fertilizer combo is preventing uptake of one of the micro-nutrients. You don't need to water with distilled water, and what you're seeing does not look like over watering to me.
That was my thought too but its strange that its only the one plant. The leaves look dark green so they must be getting plenty of nitrogen, likely too much.

Pam Quote:
My suggestion would be to take it out of the pot, gently wash away the potting soil from around the roots, then plant it in something that doesn't have fertilizer in it. Give it one treatment of iron or even a complete fertilizer, then leave it alone for a few weeks. Complete being a fertilizer that has *all* the micro-nutrients.

Potawie Quote:
That was my thought too but its strange that its only the one plant. The leaves look dark green so they must be getting plenty of nitrogen, likely too much.

Thanks...I will perform the delicate operation this afternoon after I get home from work.

You know what...I got busy before I left for the holidays, just put the pots in a tray of water 1.5" deep, left them in the germinator and here is what the "yellow" leaf pepper looks like now.

littleelf10208003jm9.jpg
[/IMG]

It sure looks healthy and is 12 inches tall (from the soil)

AlabamaJack said:
You know what...I got busy before I left for the holidays, just put the pots in a tray of water 1.5" deep, left them in the germinator and here is what the "yellow" leaf pepper looks like now.

Great! The water would have leached the excess fertilizer from the soil.

It sure looks healthy and is 12 inches tall (from the soil)

It does look good. Good job.

The style of watering you were doing was leaving dry spots.
The pot needed to set in water to soak up.
So the ferts can do their job, not get leached out.

Makes sense. I now bottom water so I hope I fixed this problem.

Back