• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Too much rain, how to keep up fertilizer

We have had way to much rain in northwest Ohio.
What is the best way to keep them fertilized.
Many plants are turning a light green (yellowing)

1. spraying they with foliage type fertilizer?  
2. watering them with a fertilizer ( they really don't need watered)
3. adding some type of fertilizer to the ground
4. Hope for the best.

In ground? After growing near Portland, OR for many years, I never had much of a problem in well drained pots but in ground can be problematic. You may want to consider fertilizer spikes, which dissolve slowly over the season. I've heard a lot of good things with Jobe's Tomato Fertlizer Spikes, which I am experimenting with this year on both tomatoes and peppers. Otherwise, and granule product would also dissolve slowly.

I sprinkle tiny amounts of the regular powder fertilizer in the ground that get dissolved by the rain. It would normally burn them, but with soil that depleted it shouldn't be an issue.

winland said:

Going to have to find a BIG SALE on Jobe's spikes.

:lol:  Amazon has them for $2.99 per 18 with free shipping here. Not sure if that's a great deal, but I usually see them for about $3.99 in the stores. If my math is right, you could spike 108 plants for $17.94. You may be able to find a time release granular for cheaper at someplace like Wally's. In my experience, tomato ferts work well with peppers.

You can put a cover over your plants with a tarp or sun shade to the appropriate length to help keep the plants dryer. My feeding suggestion is to wait till the plants need to be watered and then give em a good foliar spray using kelp and epsom salt.
Much better than that time released garbage imo

since you are getting acute deficiency symptoms...id just water in some calcium nitrate for now. 

however... nitrate washes out easier than ammonium. 
there is some stuff you can do to hold anions longer... aluminum sulfate, adding clay minerals to the soils and adjusting the ph.

just sounds like a bad run of weather though. i wouldn't go nuts here.

Going to go with the Jobe's Spikes.
Found them on Amazon for $1.94 plus a little bit of shipping, but I bought 20 packages.
Should be here in a week.

Hope it is not too late in the season to give my plants a little boost during fruit production.

hogleg said:
What if the plants are yellowing from over watering and not lack of ferts? just a thought. But yea like HT said switch to a time release should help.
PA here...  I had the same problem but with light green and not yellow plants, but in only 1 garden.  It was my hillside garden and it was from the ferts running off.

Anyways, I was worried about adding a liquid fert also, but I picked the driest day and it worked.  Did it twice now and they are a nice lush green.  Wanted something that would act fast, ya know?  Been giving them weekly foliar feedings of Epson salts also.  Growth has been excellent and they are catching up to my other garden at a decent rate,

Back