• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Today in the kitchen...

QuadShotz said:
I haz Sweet Potato Pie gramma made...Yummy!

th_th10_1_1301.gif
Good enough for me!

Very nice Fine. You have done very well this year. I think you should make a ham sauce for Christmas.

fineexampl said:
I give you....PUMPKIN PAIN!!
IMG_0518.jpg

And my recent canning exploits!
R-L: My homemade cranberry sauce (secret recipe), (top) canned plums, (bottom) canned sugar pears, pickled jalapenos w/ bhut jolokia, my latest slowcooked veggie pasta sauce
IMG_0519.jpg

:shocked:

chilehunter said:
you've been a busy person making all those sauces & canning, the pumpkin pain labels look great!!
Yeah i'm miserable in my office job, so i do this to maintain sanity. I like a bit of creativity. Now i have at least one place to show it off.

Thanks again everyone!

Today in the test kitchen i decided to make some candied, or as some call it, crystallized ginger. In the making of process i threw in a chile for added bite to the already bitey ginger. I think i may make some candied chiles next time.

Good, easy, worthwhile process making this stuff. It lasts for months, for starters. In the making of process, you also get excess ginger syrup you can can and save for the future. You also get a nice ginger sugar for use in teas. Use this sugar to make a vanilla sugar perhaps? I dunno. Glad i made it and only wish i made more.

IMG_0539.jpg

fineexampl said:
Yeah i'm miserable in my office job, so i do this to maintain sanity. I like a bit of creativity. Now i have at least one place to show it off.

Thanks again everyone!

hey man did you ever try the fig/fatalii thing yet?

Sickmont said:
hey man did you ever try the fig/fatalii thing yet?

Actually no i haven't. When i had the figs, i had no fataliis. than i had the fataliis, but no figs. I'm on hold right now seeing as i have concentrated and canned the fataliis. I saw some nice figs the other day, but they were WAY too expensive. They're out of season now anyway. Soon my friend!

I'm over here sipping ginger-chile tea. :D

fineexampl said:
I'm over here sipping ginger-chile tea. :D

Is this some mad creation of yours? Sounds great, i love tea & i love ginger & i love chiles. Care to share recipe/method?

Txclosetgrower said:
Is this some mad creation of yours? Sounds great, i love tea & i love ginger & i love chiles. Care to share recipe/method?
candied ginger and candied chiles, black tea, stir, sip. mmmm.

fineexampl said:
candied ginger and candied chiles, black tea, stir, sip. mmmm.

Do you candy your own chiles? I did once 2 years ago and it was actually really good. I may have to do some more, they have some gorgeous yellow and red habaneros at the store. If you candy, cool them, then dip them half-way in some dark chocolate they're simply gorgeous. I cut mine in strips.

yeah i did them myself, but they were only an afterthought in this case as i was doing the ginger and added the chile for flavor. i'm gonna do some proper soon.

Haha I got a half-assed batch going right now. I only had 1 cup of turbinado sugar so I can only make a small batch and i've never used anything but plain sugar before. Oh well we'll see how these turn out, worst case scenario is i have syrup covered habaneros. Or a massive fire that takes out half the town. But the first scenario is much more likely lol.

:lol:
tomorrow we're having company and in the midst of making dinner i'll be pickling some of the monster habs i bought. I will be removing and saving all seeds as well.

shit! forgot to take out the chicken.

fineexampl said:
:lol:
tomorrow we're having company and in the midst of making dinner i'll be pickling some of the monster habs i bought. I will be removing and saving all seeds as well.

shit! forgot to take out the chicken.

Pickled habs sound great! I just pulled the candied habs out they actually set up crispy this time! I did it! I think it might be the turbinado sugar. I dunno though, and they don't have a ton of excess syrup on them. Next comes dipping some of them in chocolate.

How do you pickle your habs? I got a whole case of pint jars for 3 dollars at wal-mart yesterday. I'd like to can some things and pickling is about all you can do without a pressure canner.

well my only time pickling was with a pressure cooker, so i have no idea how they are. i have yet to try them. i used a 50/50 of vinegar/water, spices, jalapenos, half a dried bhut, garlic. i'll try them tomorrow though. should be about ready. i'm going to try the same method if things went well, but this time going the dill pickle route.

Back