• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer To much fertilizer?

I think I put too much plant food (miracle grow plant food). All my leaves have fallen off, and the plant doesn't feel as strong... Is it possible to remove the root from the dirt and rinse and put in new dirt?

Pictures and details of grow help immensely. Don't know anything except you are growing a plant and are using miracle grow.

I don't believe it's diseased because I have them inside (not saying it's impossible, just saying because I have two long slim reds that are near them and they are fine). I just know after I fed them, they started going down hill

b9d117c089da8861839e943df4d4cd62.jpg

ea9eaaea8e5a4ccfd650651d630c2ce5.jpg

f8d7662a1a0394d6a94c90f2ebb472a0.jpg

bcbcd332751481e0e8dda72fa82a45ff.jpg

i removed a bunch of dead leaves from the last one yesterday

romy6 said:
 Most likely over watering aka root rot .

willard3 said:
Leaf edge usually shows fertilizer burn and the last foto doesn't show leaf  burn.
is it possible to replace with fresh soil?

Pfeffer said:
Yes, try not to damage the roots to much though.
ok i think it went successful... and it was way to damp, and not enough holes in the bottom of the cups... easily solved... removed the old soil, without damaging the root system, put new soil in the bottom of the cup, placed the roots in the cup, surrounded the roots with new soil and LIGHTLY watered.  time will tell

No holes isn't the problem. That helps with aeration, not drainage. Most soil won't drain sufficiently to prevent root rot.

Just wait until the cups feel lighter, water a bit so that there is a tablespoon of water on it. This will drain through the cup because of gravity and the capillair effect. If your plant needs more, water slightly more next time.

Water discipline is crucial and is the nr 1 cause of grow issues.

Overwatering leads to pests, nutrient lock out, mold and rot.

Pfeffer said:
No holes isn't the problem. That helps with aeration, not drainage. Most soil won't drain sufficiently to prevent root rot.

Just wait until the cups feel lighter, water a bit so that there is a tablespoon of water on it. This will drain through the cup because of gravity and the capillair effect. If your plant needs more, water slightly more next time.

Water discipline is crucial and is the nr 1 cause of grow issues.

Overwatering leads to pests, nutrient lock out, mold and rot.

i have been using a small half gallon garden pump sprayer and that has seem to do well in the past.  just put it on mist and just blast the soil for a few seconds.  

Saturated fats are the nr 1 reason of heart desease. It doesn't mean a burger will kill you ;)

Some varieties tolerate wet soil more than others. Also the bag of soil, even of the same Brand/type can make a huge difference. Even some lumps of fibrous material can cause a wetspot in a cup. There are so many contributing factors, but one thing is for sure.. to wet soil causes issues.

Back