• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Tim's bonsai winter project

Here we go, looking for some rough advice and just doin the whole sharing the love type thang. So far I'm off to an okay start, well the plants aren't dead after the first few weeks. I have noticed some leaf rot and won't be watering again until I see leaf droop.

I've used a heavy mix of coir peat, mulch and potting mix that seems to be holding the water a little bit better than expected. I have also mixed in a slow release fert as I've read the little bonsai's will need more nutrients than what you'd expect.

So far I haven't shaped them too much as I'm worried I'll kill them after such a massive cut back, all plants were nearly root bound in a 30ltr pot before planting them into tinny little bonsai pots lol

Plants as of 26th April 2011
Yellow Fatalii-Yellow 7-Choc Bhut
bonsaipeppergroupendapril.jpg

Timmmy, those plants look great in the bonsai pots.
We'd intended to do some last fall, but didn't get it done. We'll we following your posts as you head into winter. They just look like such a fun project.

You may already have this link, but here's a great detailed site for bonchis-
http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105

I think all of the plants are at least three years old maybe four so I hope they make it

Had a play around with the Y7, I didn't have any cutting compound to add into the cut so I'm guessing it will die off but it will be cool if the upper branch lives.

cuty7001.jpg

Have to buy some pointy type cutters and I'm not sure what to cut off. I agree it looks wrong as is but I'm not sure how to make it look better :beer: (Not beer-Bundy)

Hi all,

bit of an update,

winters been and its on the way out. My BT Scorps still ahve pods :) nice... My GF actually ate one the other day without me knowing lol she ate it then asked what they were lol And no she's not into chilli lol

Anyways bonzaiiiii

junebonz002.jpg

What have I learn't, don't water them lol wait until they looks wilted but at the same time they don't pick back up like a standard sized plant. Mag doesn't seem to be doing much in terms of the green-age..

NICE!

Guess bonchis are not as easy as some made it seem huh? Now im hesitant to cut down my tabascos...
BT scorps looks to be going good though.

Nice to see your three bonsai they are still alive.

It always amazes me how resilient chili plants are.
That was a serious cut back.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted :)

Bleash

Now that's cool. I've done some Ficus and some Magnolias but I've never heard of Bonsai peppers. Very cool.

Well winters been a little bit harsh this year and the bonsai's aren't as happy as I'd like, it looks like the choc bhut is goners but I'd have to chop back a bit of bark to be sure.

The weathers starting to warm up so they should start picking up :) :)

yeah Fatalii.net is a good old fav site :)

I think all of the plants are at least three years old maybe four so I hope they make it

Had a play around with the Y7, I didn't have any cutting compound to add into the cut so I'm guessing it will die off but it will be cool if the upper branch lives.

cuty7001.jpg

Just fyi. I use honey to dab on my cuts. like neospron for plants

Honey? like processed or honey wax

Sounds interesting :beer:

I've used little bits of aluminium foil to cover up pruned cuts and it works really well.

:)

Back