• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Thoughts on this soil mix for peppers?

So I found this soil or is it compost ? It cost $75.00 a cubic yard. The mixture is 33% premium composted aspen / 33% chicken manure / 17% black lava fines (sand) / 9% expanded shale / 8 % pumice. I'm going to try the global bucket this year and some 21gallon DIY earthboxes. Going to have 40+ 5gal buckets to fill plus the 4 21gal containers. Trying to budget if at all possible. Any thoughts? Thanks

so miraclegrow potting mix is like 6$ per 2cu ft
so cubic yard of MG is ~ 78$

so seems a lil expensive for buying it in bulk like that, i'm guessing your soil would be better than MG, so ?.

Thanks for the input. Haven't purchased it yet. Price sounds good. Didn't know if I should add something to it for the self watering systems. I'm going to see if a can get a soil sample and do a test to see what I would be working with.

Haven't seen it in person. It's about 65 miles from me. Going to check it out in the next week hopefully. It is a little high in manure. Was planing on adding something for airation for the global bucket deal. Weather I gomwith this or something else. Maybe peat moss for wicking. Never done the earthbox style of growing. Thanks for the reply Proud Marine Dad and JJJessee.

JJJessee said:
It does sound pretty rich on the manure side. What is the texture like? You might be able to stretch it with some peat or coir and perilite. 

I agree and its hard to beat coco coir for the price the bricks are really cheap!

Thanks Hophead. I will check out coir. Have been reading up on All about soil post in the grow section posted by LGHT. Thanks LGHT. I am going to try and read all 112 replies and see if I can learn something. My compost pile didn't work out to good. Started building heat and then winter came and froze it. Haven't given up on it. I started mixing and layering yesterday. Still learning.

Sounds pretty expensive. Around here you can get premium mixes from 30 to 40 bucks a cubic yard. Straight compost for half that price.

Thanks Bob_b . I have seen a picture of the stuff. It looks like compost. SL3 haven't found much around here except for some greenhouse mixes which are around the same price. I mis SoCal sometimes. Was born and raised in San Diego. Colorado has been my new home for the past 8 years. No year round growing season here. Thanks again everyone. May be there's another option.

Back