overwintering They'll never grow and flower in the windowsill during winter, they said....

These two plants are a couple months old.  First month of their lives were under a single bulb T5.  For the last month or so they've been in a windowsill in our bedroom and have been doing great. They've been growing better there than they were under the light.   I was surprised to see that these two are beginning to flower at such a young age.  They're only about a foot tall. 

First one is Bulgarian Carrot.
zBZrZp2.jpg

This one is Green Lumbre Hatch
OkUVohp.jpg

When I mentioned on facebook about sticking plants in the windowsills during winter to allow my smaller seedlkings to be under my T8 lights I was told they wouldn't grow and definitely wouldn't flower.  Same folks said window light alone wouldn't be sufficient for OWing a few of my plants which are actually thriving and will need trimmed down again before Spring. 

:)

Natural sunlight, even somewhat filtered through a window, is always the best light for plants. The bigger question is the direction of the window - if you're getting direct sunlight into it or not. The front of my house faces south, so in the winter my front picture-window is the place the plants like the most when I want to keep them going. That said, if I want the plants to go dormant to reduce upkeep for the winter, I don't put them there. Depends on your goals for each plant. 

Besides, I'm still wondering who "they" are and why "they" seem to have so much say in anything. I tend to ignore 'em.....  ;)

bulgarian carrots are fast producers, if anyone feels they can't grow chilis, just give them bulgarian carrot. i can't believe how fast they flowered and set fruit, faster than any pepper i have grown.

Burning Colon said:
bulgarian carrots are fast producers, if anyone feels they can't grow chilis, just give them bulgarian carrot. i can't believe how fast they flowered and set fruit, faster than any pepper i have grown.
First time I have had the chance to grow them

I was going to post a thread with this same topic soon,  I have an orange hab in my window with a few pods on it and a tabasco that just started to flower.  I got some more south facing window realestate so I'm getting some varieties germinated to fill up the windows, I'm somewhat concerned that the heat and light intensity might be to much for a little seedling though.

Why wouldn't something grow with sunlight?? I have more of an issue trying to keep C.annuum from flowering inside. They seem to bud up earlier and produce more pollen than other species do. Being that you gave them a good start under artificial light,they will grow decently in a south facing window during winter. If you are starting seedlings without artificial light in our climate,they will put on gangly growth,the plants will still grow though.Rotate the cell/pot a 1/4 turn daily.

Pr0digal_son said:
Why wouldn't something grow with sunlight?? I have more of an issue trying to keep C.annuum from flowering inside. They seem to bud up earlier and produce more pollen than other species do. Being that you gave them a good start under artificial light,they will grow decently in a south facing window during winter. If you are starting seedlings without artificial light in our climate,they will put on gangly growth,the plants will still grow though.Rotate the cell/pot a 1/4 turn daily.
It was more of a "It's winter so a plant can't live that close to a window" type thing.  I laughed when it was mentioned.  This window they're in Is South West facing.  I even have a couple started in the windowsill and are still there that are doing great as well.  Yea, I have to rotate every two days to keep them straight. .

I have to pick buds on my overwinters every few days to keep the flowers away. They are in front of a SE facing window and get dim blizzard light for 6 hours.  They are thriving with the little light and 62F temps.

Why would anyone prevent them from flowering inside? Especially in the winter. The small winter pods are VERY good to drop into hot chocolate or something right around Xmas. My plants flower a ton in winter in 48-50 degree weather. Especially the 7 pod Unreliable strain.

I brought in 1 jalapeño and 4 bhuts and they sit in front of a southeast facing window. Full sun from 9am till 5 pm. All of them are doing amazing. The jalapeño has about 10 peppers and the other 4 plants have 3-5 flowers.

I think there are pepper varieties that don't really require much tending to in order to grow.  I had a biker billy jalapeno pepper I was growing in a solo cup at the beginning of this past growing season.  I kept it in a solo cup because I didn't want to pot it up until the frost temps had passed for sure outside.  For some reason, we were getting temps in the 30's into April or May here in the DFW area last year.  Anyway, I can't seem to post a link yet, so I'll describe it. :D  ... the pic I was going to post would've been of a biker billy plant that was about 1-foot tall, in a solo cup, with a pepper on it.
Oh, also, I had a scorpion plant I left in a bucket and just threw it in the garage after it had dropped its leaves for some reason.  I forgot about it.  It sat there through the winter from about November'ish to February/March.  I never watered it, the garage had no heat or light, either.  Around March, I looked at the plant in the garage before I dumped it out to possibly salvage the soil/bucket and it was producing flowers or leaves on the limbs.  Crazy.

Back