spirits The Whisky Thread

I got a bottle of Rogue Single Malt for Christmas!

I LOVE the Rogue Whiskey, it's been out for a couple years, and at <$40/bottle it's some of the best I've had. Looking forward to seeing how the single malt compares.

Is Rogue whiskey the same company as Rogue brewery? If so this is the first time I have heard of them making whiskey. I will have to look for it. I know that Dogfish Head makes their own line of booze, but they are just vodkas, rums, and gins.

Yep, same company. They make their own malts now too as I understand.

The whiskey is on the sweet side, while I love a peat-ier (islay-style) whiskey, but for some reason, I like these.

Today having some Ridgemont Reserve 1792, very smooth, nice vanilla, oak notes, with some cinammon, very tasty.

My current favorites are the Bookers/Bakers/Basil Hayden trio.

Bookers is my favorite - it's a 126-128 proof American single-barrel Bourbon that tastes nowhere near it's strength...

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/BOOKERS-BOURBON-WHISKEY-1p9498.htm?utm_source=Vinquire&utm_medium=WineFeed&utm_content=Bookers+Bourbon+Whiskey&utm_campaign=base&v_traceback=c0109_2020_f0110_0200

Soooo so good. The other two are their 100 and 80 proof whiskeys respectively, but Bookers is the best. I highly highly recommend it.

My current favorites are the Bookers/Bakers/Basil Hayden trio. Bookers is my favorite - it's a 126-128 proof American single-barrel Bourbon that tastes nowhere near it's strength... http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/BOOKERS-BOURBON-WHISKEY-1p9498.htm?utm_source=Vinquire&utm_medium=WineFeed&utm_content=Bookers+Bourbon+Whiskey&utm_campaign=base&v_traceback=c0109_2020_f0110_0200 Soooo so good. The other two are their 100 and 80 proof whiskeys respectively, but Bookers is the best. I highly highly recommend it.

I have some Bookers and Basil Hayden, have not gotten to them yet. Still looking for some Bakers.

Cheers!

I have some Bookers and Basil Hayden, have not gotten to them yet. Still looking for some Bakers.

Cheers!

The Basil Hayden is delicious, but a little "light in the ass" - fantastic oak finish and hints of spice & citrus. I'd use this in a bourbon & coke or sip it, but it doesn't satisfy me like the Bookers. That's just a good time.

Bakers can be had at BevMo - in fact I believe you can find the trio in a gift box online. I like Bakers more than Basil - not just for the extra 20 proof, but in part, sure. I read something about the original distiller of Wild Turkey - apparently the 101 was for a reason - he believed that whiskey had to be over 100 proof to be whiskey. So that 1 is a statement. Sad that W.T. has an 80 proof - the result of 90's marketing when jack & coke became a big seller.

All 3 of these are premium bourbons though - saying I like one over the other is like comparing bites from a porterhouse - they've all excellent, I just prefer the Bookers. I'm interested to hear your thoughts when you've tried 'em.
:cheers:

Saw these yesterday at a SLS in SLC:

Parker's Heritage Cask 10 yr. $80
Eagle Rare 17 yr. $71
Thomas Handy Rye $71
George T. Stagg $71
William Larue Weller $71
Tomintoul 16 yr. $60
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit $50
Russell's Reserve 10 yr. $33
High West Rye 21 yr. $75

Cheers!

Having some Maker's 46 tonight, pretty nice. Can feel the ABV.

Cheers!
I received a bottle of that for my BDay - it's a little light proof-wise, but the flavor is excellent. Not super-premium, but darn close. Certainly better than the regular Makers, which I consider a good middle of the road whiskey.

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit $50

Tried this not too long ago - gotta say, I prefer the standard 101. I thought the "rare breed" was better too.

I received a bottle of that for my BDay - it's a little light proof-wise, but the flavor is excellent. Not super-premium, but darn close. Certainly better than the regular Makers, which I consider a good middle of the road whiskey.

Tried this not too long ago - gotta say, I prefer the standard 101. I thought the "rare breed" was better too.

I picked up a bottle of the WT Rare Breed, have not tried it yet.

Cheers!

If you guys haven't tried it yet, give the Jonnie Walker Double Black a shot. It's limited but probably the best scotch I've ever had in that price range, even if it is a blend. Runs for around $40-50 around here. Smooth and pretty smoky. Definitely has a lot of Islay character in it and I love that. Just cause it's a Jonnie don't pass it up!

Not a bourbon, but........Finally opened up the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, this is a very nice TN whiskey, liking it way better than the Black Label. They should just sell this instead
orangebiggrin.gif
:lol: :P Definitely highly recommend. Very smooth for the ABV, very tasty.

Cheers!

This afternoon, having some Eagle Rare Single Barrel (neat), this one is very tasty. Highly Recommended!

Cheers!

Ok, try this before you kill me.
And if you don't try it, don't kill me.

Costco (yea, Costco) sells a really good bourbon in their liquor store under their store name, kirkland.
Don't stop reading, I'm not bullshitting.

They outsource the bourbon to a small batch distillery, and it's actually really good. It has nice color and tones, very smooth.
And at $20 a 750, it's quite economical.
I'm not lying. Look up reviews. I've read positive reviews from independent reviewers.
Now I know purists will say it sucks, but that's just what those kind of people do for anything.
It's really nice. Give it a shot and let me know if you agree! I've been through several bottles.

And I don't mix my bourbon with anything. Just on the rocks. Maybe a few drops of water, but that's it.

Back