• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense The Trail Of the Trinidad Scorpion “Butch T” Strain

Well the 2 I got said Trinidad Scorpion Habanero
on the tag. Both have hab shaped pods that are just a little hotter then a Caribbean Red Habanero. IMO the seed stock got corrupted. Maybe they can get in tough with Neil or Butch and get them back on track if they want Butch T's. Many other true sources for just Trinidad Scorpions.
some vendors

are crooked and will sell you a regular trinidad scorpion seeds and tell you they are butch scorpions.

Don't know whether I agree with this or not...

The selective breeding part is what we all do...select the pods with traits we like/want for next years seed stock...

well I believe this is how the naga Morich or bhut jolokia became the worlds hottest.

I believe the chili it self may have occured naturally in nature. but man had a hand n selectively breeding it to be over 1 million Scoville units.

some vendors

are crooked and will sell you a regular trinidad scorpion seeds and tell you they are butch scorpions.
The 2 I have were plants not seeds and they were bought for me at Valley View Farms by Pepp3rfreak

I don't honestly think they are crooked. I just think things got mixed in at some point.

we will just have to agree to disagree on this papadaca...no big thing...I just think the pepper was naturally that hot without human intervention...

If there was any human intervention as far as Butch T is concerned is delivery of seeds from Trinidad to the USA, then to Butch, who planted them in his garden. There "may" have been some cross pollination but Butch supposedly never purposely crossed anything. It would have been old mother nature. If you believe Butch T's reporst.

You could argue that all domesticated chiles are a result of human intervention but even in Trinidad the super-hots are not popular for human consumption.
I can't see how the Scorpion-BT could have been crossed without it being obvious. I'm quite sure it is just a natural mutation. They've grown stable for me for several years now.

Scorpions are grown in Trinidad, so it is possible the Butch T was a result of a very clever and/or lucky grower. a lot of us selective breed our own chiles and some even hybridize new ones. we're not alone in this world.

If it was planned or not, we would never know... but I find it hard to believe it just "happened" for no reason.
The Jolokias were traced back to farmers, so why won't the Scorpion as well?

I believe Butch grew scorpions(originally from valleyview farms) but found one growing differently(most likely a natural mutation) and hotter which today we call the Trinidad scorpion-BT.

It makes sense. I would do the same. I would definitely pick the hottest, best looking fruit to harvest for next years grow. Butch probably had some anomalies and realized that they needed to be preserved. Good on him. I dont really care much about records. A "Butch T" may be outdone by a mutant REGULAR scorp one day, but Guinness just jumps on the hottest thing without any tracked consistency. No skin off my back. Ill eat em all.

What I learned is that I am gonna take a trip to Trinidad. Hopefully I can just walk around town and ask for the hot pepper man. What do you think? They grow like pot grows in Jamaica right?

No, apparently its still difficult to find the super-hots in Trinidad. Even the locals who know or grow these peppers usually consider them too hot for human consumption

Nice! I have always called them 7-Pot peppers because that is how it was originally explained to me, 1 pepper is hot enough to season 7 pots of chili/stew so thats what it is to me. I FINALLY got ahold of a couple Butch T Scorpions, grown by JoshuaP (thanks again for the pods and Yellow 7-pot seeds as well) and have started 8 Jiffy 7 peat pots already, gonna grow them indoors and move them outside come spring. Should be HUGE plants by then.

Very true....I just mailed 3+ lbs of hot peppers to our Trinidad friend who doesn't post on here much anymore. It is ironic she asked NOT to get super hots as she didn't use them for cooking. Pretty funny! :) This is from someone who seems to use peppers in every recipe!

No, apparently its still difficult to find the super-hots in Trinidad. Even the locals who know or grow these peppers usually consider them too hot for human consumption

Back