• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors The running, biking, hiking, camping forum

I have 5360 miles for the year which means nothing. I do a lot of Gravel Grinding which a 40 mile ride can take just as long as a road century. As far as cycling goes I have to start training for the end of October. A friend and I will be doing a 840 mile trip in a week with 2 rest days in the middle. Then I'll be dusting of the Bachetta Corsa for three months of brutal race training for 24 hours at Sebring. This will be my third year doing the race. Then a few ultra gravel races. Now I need to decide if I'm riding road or dirt this morning?

I am basically doing the same course over and over, We have this paved road along the Rio Grande, that will get me 30 miles round trip, so I have to rinse and repeat to get more miles in. I found some spd pedals on both Craigslist and eBay, and called around the local shops, hopefully I can find some good ones tomorrow. I guess there is a learning curve on using cleats, but I was ready to steal the pedals off a little girls bike today hehe. I found a pair of specialized and a pair of shimano shoes with the spd clips at the local thrift.

I went to remove the damaged pedals and found out I didn't have the strength to turn the bolt lol. I am still pretty week in the arm. Sic! Superb mileage you are doing! I don't know how you do all those races, I would be leery of hurting other riders. I wouldn't mind getting into time trial though. I will look into the Strava thing. You two be safe on the highways and byways out there,

Hey Cane! Do they still do that annual running race out there called sound to narrows? Did a few of those, It was a long run from what I remember. I will keep you all posted! My garmin connect name is Voodoo with the Active Albuquerque group. Cheers!

Voodoo when its actually race time I dont think about nothing. I've seen lots of people go down and hauled off in ambulances. I've wrecked twice in races and got back on my bike and finished. There is definitely a race mentality you need to compete. Funny thing is I think we all have it. Sometimes it just doesn't click until the gun goes off. Then bam! Your fucking Lance Armstrong

Voodoo 6 said:
I am basically doing the same course over and over, We have this paved road along the Rio Grande, that will get me 30 miles round trip, so I have to rinse and repeat to get more miles in. 

Hey Cane! Do they still do that annual running race out there called sound to narrows? Did a few of those, It was a long run from what I remember. I will keep you all posted! My garmin connect name is Voodoo with the Active Albuquerque group. Cheers!

That 30 mile track would be perfect for me as I generally prefer shorter faster rides, riding them like TT's or for interval training.  The longest continuous/unbroken track around here is a 7.5 mile (15 miles out and back) riverside ride.  I used to ride that all the time, but with my current schedule it's not convenient so I've been riding a course I can bike from my house.  I definitely miss the track surface and lack of stops (except for boneheads) on the river ride though. Doesn't have any real hills either - a plus and minus as the rest of this area has some pretty serious hills.

Yeah, Sound to Narrows has a 12K and 5K in June. This area is huge for rides, races, and competitions of all sorts. 

One of the local bike mechanics came over and threw some Diamondback pedals on to get me riding again. My bike was like how dare you??? I am ashamed... So looking for a proper set of pedals now.  :cry: 

Haha that's great. Bike's all decked out for school in JCPenney threads :(  but at least you're riding!

I'm not really a fan of SPD for road bikes because I don't find them as supportive of power delivery as the three bolt SPD-SL, but if you're going two-bolt I'd suggest taking a look at Shimano's PD-A600 - https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-PD-A600-Pedals.  They're single sided versus the Shimano m540's I use off road (I find these have a very dependable mechanism and it appears similar on both pedals), but that's not a big deal for road use since you aren't in and out that much or under tricky conditions.  What I think I'd like about them is the bigger platform compared to many other SPD's which I assume will help with power delivery.

Shimano Pedalling Device are great. I run Dura Ace on my road bike, Ultegra on my recumbent because I like the heavier weight for easier clipping in because of position. Mountain bike and gravel bike I run xtr's. When I do multiple day rides, traveling or races I will put the xtr's on road bike for several reasons.

The beater pedals were pretty bad, missing the reflectors and just raggedy so, I went with the Shimano M520-L Spd, totally over paid at 48 bucks. My first time using the cleats, I was like, I am going to eat some asphalt learning these. Can't go wrong with Dura Ace, Ultegra, XT, or XTR those all rock. I will take a look at your suggestion Cane! Always good advice, cheers!

Well fellas, another trip to the ER yesterday, was tooling along at a good pace and a Lady came right into the lane, hit her full speed. She was extremely nice and said she would cover everything. She has a good size bruise on her leg but otherwise OK. Her bike has some damage, told her to drop it off and I will check it out/fix it for her.
I got broken finger, stitches to the face, broken nose...helmet broke and thankfully not my 20 cc brain. My bike looks OK, first thing I picked up at the fire station up once I was discharged. I was excited my friend (ex-fire-fighter) asked them to hold it for me. Front wheel bent, but over-all fixable.

Going to give it 2-3 days, then hop back on. Ordered some New Continental Race Kings 2.0 because my bike is my wife.

I think there is a curse on me lol. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20190921_133822.jpg
    20190921_133822.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 62
Well, I went back in to get the stitches removed from my face, and the first thing the attending said, was, where is your finger brace. I was like Doc, here is what happened... you know those WW2 Veterans that drink coffee and girl watch in the lobby? Well they like shiny things, and thought my finger splint was made of silver.. so they chased me down and got the prize. She was like OK... what is going to happen next is a nurse with a scalpel, is going to come in and dig out those sutures. At least I got the surgeries set up to fix the nose and finger :metal: I would post a face pic, but don't want anyone to throw up lol. Pretty sure damage to my face is an improvement Cheers!

Cane what are rk2's?

The terrain here is paved road, then gravel/dirt to the sides. I like the Continentals 2.0 because they are fast rolling and durable. We get some freak thunderstorms here so they help. I like to pair these tires up with the Kenda thorn resistant tubes. I run both tires at 63 psi. The other tires I like are the schwalbe hurricanes. The longest lasting tires Ive owned are the WTB weirwolf/wolverines. We have ton's of debris on the path's here, from tree branches to glass. I am not sure how much longer I will be able to ride anymore since the doc said that's it. I asked about running, and it turns out, she is a runner, and has to have both knees and her hips replaced.

The gal I crashed into sent me a new Giro air attack shield helmet. I am thinking...my legs still work.. time to rock.. hmmm... yes...

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_222355.jpg
    IMG_20191001_222355.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 72
Watched another racer go down today after a kid ran in front of him, he shook himself off, and was concerned about the kid. Do you think the parents even cared about the rider. hell no. I went over to him, his very nice bike was probably messed up, and he had some thigh damage. Really starting to hate these people and their dogs, kids... etc.

Yep, I can't understand the parents who bring their very young kids to a riding trail on bike, feet, whatever, and then don't look out for them.  See it all the time though.  Puts the kids and others at a big risk.

I had a bonehead rider turn right into me a few days back and just managed to throw my shoulder in time to keep from going down.  The angle was soft of a t-bone, but still a pretty hard angle.  Plus had two pedestrians run across the path right in front of me the same ride.  It gets crazy out here this time of year when it's dark early and rainy.  Rides from here on out will be limited to the nicer days when I can get out early.

Back