• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Monster Pequin from Mexico - Pequin Renondo Rojo #1

OK, I am not used to seeing plants like this. Keep in mind I don't live in a climate too condusive to growing large pepper plants. I have a relatively short season. This plant was put outdoors 6/1 and started on 3/1.

We're predicted to have low 30s tonight so my season is essentially over. I have yet to get a ripe pod off this monster. I just could not live with myself not digging it up and bring it in to try to ripen fruit.

Well...this is how this plant rolls! Keep in mind the plant has been cut back 33% or more and twined several times to consolidate it. Who needs a Christmas tree when you have the monster pequin from Mexico. Now I just need to get some Christmas lights, garland and bulbs. LMAO.

My duaghter like it too. :)

Chris

100612001.jpg

Wow... That is one big plant Chris!
Glad to see you brought it in. Great idea to put some lights on it for Christmas.
You've only had it in ground for 3 months? That one is likely to be sticking out the roof by the time Santa comes to town.

For sure that's the best looking Christmas tree with green ornaments all over.
Nice save on that plant, its a monster for sure, its pretty hard to see a plant with loads of unripe pods go to waste.
This cold sucks for sure i just hate to see the plants end.

"Who needs a Christmas tree when you have the monster pequin from Mexico. Now I just need to get some Christmas lights, garland and bulbs."

And you can teach your daughter to sing Feliz Navidad.

Hey Chris,
I didn't think I'd have much room for the pequins this season but after seeing this one...........I'm going to have to find some room!!!!!!!

Very cute girl you have Chris :)
My daughter loved looking at that picture of her. I think she wishes we were neighbors now. lol. She wants a pepper play-mate :)

Great look'in pods my friend! Glad they turned for you. Does your daughter like peppers as well? My 2 year old likes to run with a basket full telling me "No daddy, my peppers". I pick, she holds and then runs.

I had never heard of this pepper before (still new to growing), but after seeing this I had to look it up. I'm confused though... all the sites I'm looking at say that the peppers grow to 2-3cm. Your's look to be about twice that. Also your plant, even after trimming appears to be about 3 times taller than the info I am seeing?
PS.
Cute kid! My youngest daughter is 6 and is absolutly fasinated with watching the peppers grow.

Wow, nice plant man, thats sure to give you a nice pull of pequins. Pequins are my favorite pepper, you cant go wrong with em, and a great plant to always keep growing.

Back