• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The "hottie" pepper...what is it, exactly?

I got a plant from a local nursery that was just labled "hottie pepper." The description said it was like a habanero & the plant is pretty prolific. And, is it ever! There are like 8 peppers already growing on the small plant, & they're all HUUUUGE! They're still green, & they are still getting bigger. They look like giant habs, so far.

So, what kind of peppers are these anyway? Just a different variety of hab? I've never seen them discussed here.

Never heard of those either Impy. Piccy's? Funny about buying the plants locally. I bought some generic habs earlier this year and at least two of them I believe are turning out to be jalapeno's.

Salute', TB.

Here they are:

34i4xuc.jpg

2iac4ew.jpg

2w3tkp0.jpg

My fingers will have to do as reference points, lol. I couldn't come up w/ anything else.

They might be the new hybrid "Habanero" called Hottie Hybrid. Here is the information I pulled from tomato growers website who sells this seed.

Hottie Hybrid #9369 (20 seeds) $3.95
NEW FOR 2009. These extra-large Hottie peppers become almost twice the size of open-pollinated habanero varieties. They mature earlier and are a bit less pungent than other habaneros also, making them more user-friendly for some gardeners. Peppers become 2 1/2 inches long and orange when ripe, and grow on plants that stay a little smaller than other habaneros. You should have plenty of these Hotties in your garden as production is excellent. 80 days.

At least that is my guess.

Wow, that's sounding like a very nice hybrid Impy! Hell, unless you've got rediculously tiny hands, thems some pretty big peppers. They certainly have a hab shape and color to them, so I'd say they're epic WIN material!

Oh god, can you imagine a giant orange Hab popper? One you could eat with a fork and knive?

Please keep this thing updated queen impy!

FiveStar...great minds think alike!!!! I already have plans to make these into poppers!!! A hab popper that's easier to wrap in bacon? Complete win.

They are habs. I have 4 of the same plants growing, just didn't pay attention to the tag until this morning and the only reason I caught it was that I read this post last night. They average 2.5 - 3 inches long. I pulled some pods off mine before it got really hot because the plant looked like s**t, and once all the pods were off, they came back around. Here is a pic of a few I pulled off and left out to change color, and they were only on the 4th day when pulled. There is a pepper off a bolivian rainbow for scale, just because it was sitting on the counter. These things produce like crazy, and mine seem to put off a dark orange on 2 plants and a really light orange/ peach color on the other 2 plants.

Sorry for bringing this in the wrong direction, but the planting instructions are just to funny:

Dig hole.

No shit, Sherlock?

I wonder what they are crossed with to get the larger pods?

MrArboc said:
Sorry for bringing this in the wrong direction, but the planting instructions are just to funny:

Dig hole.

No shit, Sherlock?

This must be why mine looked so terrible, I didn't dig a hole for them. Those are the instructions for special people.

Back