• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Fluorescent Grow Challange...

I'll get caught up here-
soaked seeds until Tuesday,
d33864c5.jpg

put the fiber pots on top of a muffin tin on top of the hot plate.
b38e3734.jpg

003d8d8e.jpg

967bc331.jpg

The condensation on the saran wrap was feeling cool in the basement, even with the hot plate, so I moved them up to the pellet stove. Today I see 2 hooks, but one looks like it has mildew on it. I took the splastic wrap off and tried to wip off the hook a little. We'll see... :(
3703d795.jpg

0fb23982.jpg

I've had that fuzz happen before and one of mine has it now. I don't think its a big deal, I just take the lid off for a couple of hours a day and they seem to grow fine.

S.L. Those are roots... toss a lil more dirt in there once it stands up. 5 of mine in soil, are standing up well. I see the 2 in Horticubes, but haven't poked their lil head out yet... and the others are hooked, but not up straight yet. :beer:

UPDATE....

Still no signs of life above the surface...remember im not growing the "official seeds of Grow Challenge 2011" LOL..So mine may not be as qick to pop :)...heres day 6..

IMAG0863.jpg

I see 7 sprouts this morning. :woohoo:

Mine are lookin good tonight... 7 days dry seed to sprout, thats pretty quick. I know others will take longer.
003-4.jpg

6 are up, with 2 to go...
004-8.jpg

I think the horticubes work well, but I do have issues with them headin N, some times they kinda bind up in there, maybe if the hole wasn't as deep? I guess I could sacrifice a few and take a straw, core out some plugs, cut and shove in the hole to lessen the depth. But I want a products that works from the start. I must say they are great for larger seeds and such. I might try some of the other ones, there pre moistened, but I forget the name. Kirk Out... :beer:

Mine are lookin good tonight... 7 days dry seed to sprout, thats pretty quick. I know others will take longer.
003-4.jpg

6 are up, with 2 to go...
004-8.jpg

I think the horticubes work well, but I do have issues with them headin N, some times they kinda bind up in there, maybe if the hole wasn't as deep? I guess I could sacrifice a few and take a straw, core out some plugs, cut and shove in the hole to lessen the depth. But I want a products that works from the start. I must say they are great for larger seeds and such. I might try some of the other ones, there pre moistened, but I forget the name. Kirk Out... :beer:
Sweet!. Good tip on that horticube depth. Is that as small as they come? I have only two of twelve seeds sprouted the surface. I just now today put a light above them as well. :cool:

This is going to be fun to watch. My peppers are just about the same age as everyone's in this competition, so it'll be interesting to see how mine progress in comparison.

UPDATE....

Day 8 and they finally popped the surface :) 2 of 4 Trinidad Scorpion Red... :dance:

IMAG0886.jpg

IMAG0887.jpg

IMAG0888.jpg

IMAG0889.jpg

Thats all for todays update...hope the rest pop soon :)

Well everyone in this are looking good. I have not had access to the internet for almost a week and now at my sisters I can not load my pics to photobucket. 4 have been up[ for a couple days now and the rest are peeking their heads up out of the rockwool. Hope to post them soon.

Onefowl1..I am going to be starting some seeds in rockwool for my drip system hydro up top in my grow area. How long can they stay like in a plastic tray and just moist till i "have" to put them in the drip system?? Ive always started with clones and peat pucks, but figured i would give rockwool a try...maybe showcase exactly how a first timer with rockwool from seed might do... LOL...any suggestions for me??

I have some in rockwool, and horticubes, The couple I did do a DWC, I waited til the roots were 1/2 in long outta the cube or so. Worked well, but I;m a newbie for hydro... so don't take my word for it.... The couple I have are huge for where they are... :beer:

Newbie question. After reading the early posts it seems you're hoping to see pods after 60 days. Can you grow plants indoors permenately(or for long enougth to get a good harvest of peppers) with the CFL structures in the pictures or is this only to get the plant started? I'm thinking of growing indoors but don't want to invest a ton of money.

Newbie question. After reading the early posts it seems you're hoping to see pods after 60 days. Can you grow plants indoors permenately(or for long enougth to get a good harvest of peppers) with the CFL structures in the pictures or is this only to get the plant started? I'm thinking of growing indoors but don't want to invest a ton of money.

I think the start of this challenge was to see different ways to start seeds under fluro lighting and see where they were after 60 days...to give others who are new to this a chance to see the pictures of how each method was done. It just so happens that some of us (me and maybe some others) will actually grow to full maturity under these same lights. I plan on doing an 8 cell hydro unit under 16 T5's to full completion completely ISOLATED for pure seed purposes :) I actually built my grow area for that purpose and stumbled upon this thread by my good friends S.S. and Onefowl1...so decided to take part cus i had the setup just built and the extra grow space to do it :) I dont believe everyone will grow to ripe pod stage under fluro but its FOR SURE able to be done! Just follow this thread or my own "Indoor Grow Area" if you want to see further indoor grow stuff :)

Back