• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container The End of Container Growing

Potawie, the largest most incredible plants I've ever seen are grown by Luigi in Italy. Nothing comes close, except for Jukka's greenhouse.

Ya that's exactly who I was refering to although there are many other great Italian growers.
I can't remember now why Luigi grows in containers with his great volcanic soil and warm climate, but I know he has his reasons. I think he said it has something to do with the high winds, or huricanes or something. I'll have to ask him again.

I'm with P...I really don't have a choice and am getting ready to grow in containers as long as I grow...if I had a good piece of ground, I probably would have never found container gardening could be so rewarding...you just have to reach your stride by learning plant language and give the plants what they want/need when they tell ya...

I agree the Italian growers produce some magnificent plants...must mean the plants talk in Italian...

Sorry you dislike your containers Chris but we all have our reasons. Nothing easier than buying a bag of good potting mix, some pepper starts and plant in some terra cotta pots. I always had bigger plants in containers than the ground don't know why exactly but keep doing what works. One way doesn't work for everybody, but your in-ground plants look fine. All mine are in container this year. :P

I always grew in ground only until a few years ago and tried a few containers. Containers are fun to experiment with for me and I will always use some. In ground requires less attention, but I have to walk farther to reach the garden and I'm a lazy loon. :lol:

I did an experiment this year with my CCN Bhuts. Put one in a raised bed, one in a container. The bed was filled with fresh MG soil, and containers filled with fresh MG potting mix. The Bhut in the container has 6 pods, but the one in the bed has about 50. Just my experience.

The Raised Beds have worked great for me. I tried buckets this year , several reasons. Didn't plan on making more raised beds and folks like AJ and others grow these super lush plants .... big ... pod giving dreams in dang ole' buckets !!!!

I didn't have a good start this year , and it seems all the plants in buckets had it harder. So I can't know what would have happened in a good season. Overall my plants in buckets are bigger than the plants in my beds.But they are thinner, very branchie ( is that a word ? ) . Is that because they got tossed around , burnt by the sun and lost lots of early growth?

I know a big reason why my plants in the raised beds aren't bigger. I planted everything very close. The inside of my beds are 3' wide ..... so I planted two rows staggered with the plants 18" apart. Know what I mean -_ -_ - _ -_ - _ - _ ...... I wanted/want the plants to act like a cover. To help hold the moisture in the beds. I think next year I'll use 2' spacing. They should still grow close enough to make a cover.Right now it looks a hedge.

Next year I'll still fool with a few buckets. Mainly for types I want to play with and to see if I get over the learning curve on buckets like AJ has.

But as far as work goes ... watering ... the raised beds are easier. And they hold the moisture much longer. I see watering 20 buckets as a pain .... Big One

Just a thought or two,

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Different strokes for different folks. Whatever works is the right answer. Tons of growers here produce beautiful plants. I just experience bigger pods and more pods on inground plants than container varieties. Maybe different climates play a part too. I have put serious effort into building up my soil too. That's the beauty of container growing. Great soil from day #1. :) The space issue and not having a backyard with some dirt is also a very compelling reason to go that route.

For me, the moisture retention of raised beds vs. pots is also another compelling reason to stick with them.

I use both and enjoy the benefits of both. But like Chris i do get bigger pods in the ground too. I also find that they take longer to ripen in the ground vs. pots. For me anyways

I agree Chris this is my last year to do the container bit. My douglah last year grew to 6' high and 6' wide and put tons of big pods. I will say though it was what I had it planted in and was amending the soil with. I used mushroom mis and was amending the soil once a month with a gallon of used coffee grounds and let me tell you I saw results in 2 weeks that I didn't have in 2 months!!

You know what's ironic...? Over the last several weeks (at least a month), I've been contemplating and made my final decision on moving purely to pots next year. The main reasons behind my choice (that come to mind):

• Virtually NO disease: My garden plants have bacterial leaf spot; it's spread like an epidemic, and is still infecting new leaves constantly. It's even infected a few actual peppers. It's not fun picking leaves off every day, especially after storms, to prevent the spread (which, honestly, seems impossible to truly stop now that it's begun. And guess what? It's getting really dark right now, and there is yet ANOTHER severe thunderstorm warning in effect right now! By comparison, there's nothing much on my potted plants; when it rains heavily or at an angle that it gets on the plants, I bring them down to the floor of the porch to minimize contact with rain to the leaves. Which is what it looks like I'm going to have to do in a few minutes.
  • No broken branches/stems: My Fatalii has gone through a lot, from several leaves and stems removed by to the wind to the main stem being broke off somehow (probably some animal). Not so on my potted plants; not a single branch is missing due to wind damage. When it's very windy, I move the plants onto the porch to avoid it. The animals tend to stay off the porch.
  • Nearly perfect shaped leaves: Very few leaves, and on very few plants, get holes eaten in them chunks taken from their sides by insects--and again, animals are practically no problem on the porch. No need for regular slug hunts, and I haven't seen any earwigs outside of the garden either. Fungus gnats are the biggest problem, but they're really more of an annoyance.
  • Easier to maintain and harvest: Once again, nothing beats the mobility of pots. They can easily be moved to a working area for watering, feeding and examination without having to bend down to the ground to find damn-near microscopic and well-blended pests, and I find it easier to gauge how much water the plant has than if it were in the ground.
  • Bigger, healthier plants loaded with peppers: With the exception of my Scorpion, none of my garden plants are very impressive in terms of size. Similarly, the garden plants also don't have a whole lot of peppers. Meanwhile, the potted plants are impressively big, and full of peppers.
  • Easier to overwinter: They're already in pots... I'll just bring thing inside on cold fall nights and eventually bring some of them in permanently for the winter. If they make it, they'll be re-potted next spring.
  • Garden is a PITA to maintain: With the tilling and endless weed pulling, the garden is just annoying to keep in good condition. Additionally, it's harder to get to each individual plant and to water/fertilize properly.
To make a long story short: My garden this year is a nightmare, while my potted peppers are a dream in comparison. Next year I will probably use bigger pots though, especially on the varieties with big leaves and big peppers; those ones seem to drain the pot of water in no time. I'll leave the garden for things like sunflowers, pumpkins, watermelons, tomatoes and other plants that make more sense out there, but the peppers are going right on my porch next year.

This is my first visit(and post) on this site. I was hoping to gain some insight from others that have grown peppers in containers. You have listed all the reasons I went to containers this season. Currently I am in peak harvest of six varieties, and all 25 pots are doing well. I used 3.5 gal and 5 gal size "drywall" type buckets. The 5 gal size for hot bananna and pablano plants have allowed the plants to grow between 5 and 6 feet tall. I have noticed that the pablano peppers are smaller in size than when I plant in the ground, but the number of pods is exceptional. Actually, the size of the pod has worked out well for when I stuff and cook them on the grill. I have significantly fewer pest problems, and less wasted peppers with the pots, and will have many more ancho's this year as a result. The 4 different hot peppers have done very well in the 3.5 gal pots, and after the end of the season I expect to have all the chili powder me and my friends can consume in a year's time.
My success with containers this season, and the ease of maintaining/harvesting, has convinced me that I have weeded my last pepper patch. The only drawback for me is the additional time I spend watering the pots, and our summer has been very hot and dry this year.
But next year I plan to put together a gravity fed irrigation system from a rain barrel to each pot to reduce my time spent holding the water hose in a bucket.

Back