Teriyaki smoked salmon

texas blues - I'm just messing around calling it dog food since you mentioned that native alaskans consider chum salmon only worthy to feed to their dogs or a low grade salmon. I was also agreeing with you even though I didnt say "I agreee" that the chum salmon was kinda soft/mushy uncooked but once cooked it was fine texture wise.

sometimes over the internet you get the wrong impression of what someone else is saying. & I wasnt taking what you said to seriously, just playing around with the salmon being called dog salmon/food.

your quote " If it looks good and tastes good to you, then IT IS GOOD " heck it dont even have to look good or taste good & I'll still eat it :) I eat squid & octopus, & I've eaten chard steak before because I got sidetracked & I tell you what steaks are NOT to be black or crunch when you eat them ;) but nothing some extra A1 sauce couldnt solve.
I'm a true believer in the ABC's - if A1 sauce,BBQ sauce,Cocktail sauce (or hot sauce, but not everyone uses hot sauce)cant make something eatable then its not eatable :lol:

CH...you are right about the internet translation faux paux. The dog food thang went right over my head. Its all cool and the gang with me too. Hey and good on ya anyway for doing the chum up righteous. I've got 4 whole filets sliced up and marinading as I write this. If all goes well in my master plan of taking over the world, I will get to meet the mullet man/IGG down at the strip sometime tomorrow ...hopefully with a nice big bag of fresh salmon jerky strips.

CH...come on now bro...he's all cool and the gang. He don't need to bring nuthin'. If I can get to meet the bro I'll take a pic for proof. He is after all, God's own Mullet Man! Come on down to Vegas and we'll cook somethin' up too mon. Cheers!

texas blues - I'm just joking around, I'm sure a bunch of you here are some cool people to hangout with.

did you put honey on the salmon towards the end of smoking ? if you did how did it turn out ?
I picked up a Sockeye fillet yesterday so I can compare the flavour vs chum

CH..I don't think I will use honey to finish as I have tweeked my recipe to be a bit more sweeter as it is. I am doing my usual teriyaki but subbing pineapple juice for water. I even threw in a can of crushed pineapple with the marinade so it should have that smoky salty sweet thang' goin' on. We'll get IGG to rate it. Cheers mon.

that sounds like it'll be a great flavour once done :cool: show some pictures if you can, are you using tails again or ?
& is that smoker you have in the picture a electric smoker ? if so, I've always wanted to know how well they work do they take longer or less time for smoking vs charcoal, & can they be used inside ? I know the last question might be a dumb one but I had to ask assuming you dont use wood chips.
as for the sockeye yea its frozen, should I keep that for baking to appreciate the flavour or ok to smoke it ?

CH..its very okay to smoke sockeye. The only thang on sockeye is that it is not as fatty as some of the salmon like chinook or coho therefore it can be overdone and dry when smoking. Just keep an eye on it. The smoker I use, and today I used apple chips, is a Luhr-Jensen Mini Chief electric smoker. Essentially a tin box with 3 racks over a heating ring that holds the pan of chips. Can't smoke inside with it though. I think the dang thang my gal bought online for me and cost 60 bucks. This little unit has smoked steaks, roasts, pork chops, fish, and any other thang I so desired and it does it very well. I had a Brinkman charcoal unit that cost about 200 that did not do near as well. I highly recommend the Luhr-Jensen. You might be able to go online direct to them and check them out and/or order one. As for the salmon, due to the amount I had to do, (4 whole atlantic sides) I passed on the tails. I cut the sides into 3rds crosswise and then cut thin strips lengthwise. Alas, my gal had to watch over them as a guy borrowed my work truck and broke the lift on it, which I then had to drive across town, fetch it and then find a part to fix it. I was trying to hook up with IGG/Passow but NOOOOOOOOOO. Better luck tomorrow I hope.
Cheers mon!

Back