• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

tea recipes

Got this off another garden forum:
Byrons tea
in a nutshell:
Put tea bag in cup of boiling water, wait 4 minutes. Throw this out (or drink it!) add another cup of hot water, wait 4 minutes. Add this to water to make 1 quart tea dilution.

What kind of tea? I use black and green.

I use this to moisten coffee filter used in the baggie sprouting techinque. Supposedly the tannins in the tea speed the germ process. Any extra tea goes to other plants around the house.

I also occasionally use a chamomile tea dilution to spritz seedling containers or baggies as it supposed to help resist damping off / fungus build up.... :cool:

What kind of tea are you asking about? As Siliman said, chamomile tea is commonly used as a germination aid and to prevent damping off on soil. Compost tea is completely different and commonly used as a foliar spray. I've heard good things about both of them but have yet to try either.

I've used whatever... alfalfa meal, molasses, EWC, compost, rye flour, leftover organics etc... I think chicken or rabbit manure would work great. I don't think peppers need a special tea that's much different from other plants. I'll be doing much more this year and probably trying some dandelion brew. Earthworm castings or guano w/ molasses is probably a pretty good start. By me, teas are sometimes tough because the tap water is horrible and we don't get much rain. I'm dreaming up a slow filter to fix my water up and make it better for organics.

I've never done this with with super hot peppers (because i'm a noob) but am planning to this year. I have used it on a variety of other plants and loved the results. I always just used various Sunleaves guano to make the tea depending on what stage of life they were in. Most of the time I'd put it in a woman stocking, then I'd add it to a bucket of water that had an aquarium air pump with a air stone. I'd try and let it sit at least over night like that and feed my plants. I've used molasses a little bit in teas but only in later stages, I've heard it's a natural fungicide so maybe I should add a little earlier on. Sorry I don't have a true recipe, I just always kinda winged it depending on what plants I was feeding with it.

I brew my own tea about every 2 weeks during peak growing season. If you don't have a worm bin or a compost bin it's going to be hard brewing "worm tea" as the tea requires fresh worm compost.

I basically brew about 4 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket. This is more than enough to foiler feed all my plants and a bit extra to give each plant a bit in the soil directly.

I use the standard bucket method and airate for about 24 hours. I do add unsulfured molasses and a little bit of fish emulsion to my mix. You don't have to add fish emulsion, but I like to provide enough food for the bacteria in 2 forms just to be on the safe side.

I also add a small 75 watt aquarium heater set to 78 degress when I brew. This isn't required if your brewing in a warm area, but I brew outside on the patio over night and if the water temps get too cold it will slow down the growth of the bacteria since they prefer warm water.

Here is a nice step by step tutorial to get you going. CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL STEP BY STEP TUTORIAL

It was really easy for me to brew since breeding fish and shrimp is another hobby of mine and I had all the equipment just laying around.

Back