• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Tarantula Trifecta

I was out hiking yesterday (I'm in southern New Mexico now) in an old dry creek bed, and I came across 3 Tarantulas. The first one looked like it was dead, and the 3rd one was full of energy, I could barely keep up with her. Patrick, can you ID them?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53939514@N02/?saved=1

here's a few I found asound the house,
this is a huge, tiger-rump that the dog found behind the chair
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA111111111111-4.jpg

some type of pinktoe
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA111111111111-9.jpg

I forgot the name of this one, but it's somewhat rare here
CIMG0063.jpg

This is a big zebra-leg, I found in the jungle
scan0005.jpg

I think this is some type of rose-hair
CIMG0745.jpg

here's a young tiger-rump I found on the couch
CIMG0431.jpg

CIMG0432.jpg

CIMG0430.jpg

The Pink Toe I had back in the 80s was a greenish color, with pink toes, he was pretty small compared to a Mexican Red Leg.

They are mature male aphonopelma, not sure of the species. Probably chalcodes. If you look at the underside of the first leg on either side about one third of the way back from the toes you can see a small appendage or "hook". Those are used to secure the females fangs when they hold them up for mating. The dead one appears to be another mature male that has just succumbed to life. When male tarantulas become sexually mature their days are numbered.

Tarantula's usually spend their entire life never venturing more than a few feet from their burrow. When males go through their "ultimate" molt they become sexually mature and have one thing on their mind. They will travel for miles looking for willing females.

Great photos, thank you for posting them. Please send me a PM when ever you want me to see something. This was really cool.

solar1 I would so love to be able to find tarantulas in my back yard, not so sure about the couch though.

Solar- thanks for sharing your native tarantulas with us- sometimes those of us that keep them in the Midwest are not informed as to what their "natural" habitats are. I'll make sure I note that if I should decide to get a tiger rump I should provide it with a couch! :D

Solar- thanks for sharing your native tarantulas with us- sometimes those of us that keep them in the Midwest are not informed as to what their "natural" habitats are. I'll make sure I note that if I should decide to get a tiger rump I should provide it with a couch! :D

icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif

Back