• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sweet Piquin

Last summer, I bought a couple of small piquin plants from a an old Mexican gentleman at a flea market in Lubbock, Texas. His English was as lousy as my Spanish, but I got the impression that he picked wild piquins and saved the seeds to grow the plants that he was selling. One of the plants I had bought turned out to be a black piquin. The other one died, but I was successful in taking a couple of cuttings. The cutting turned into a very fruitful small bush. I harvested a handful of piquins from this plant this weekend, and it was sweet! It had some heat to it, but it was sweeter than it was hot. Has anyone ever had a sweet piquin?

Never - they are like firecrackers -- all small and innocent looking then BANG - Were they ripened all they way ? Mine turned black/purple-ish more from sunburn though

I believe so. They were green for a very long time, and slowly turned a deep red. I left it on the plant for a week before biting into it.

The black piquins were like other piquins, with an explosive, short lived heat. The sun made the pods and leaves a black color, but they turned red when ripe.

Back