• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense "Sweet Habaneros" from Whole Foods?

I got a bag of these tonight @ Whole Foods. They were just labeled "sweet habaneros." I really wish I would've munched a pepper in the store to see if they were worth getting. I thought about it, but I was afraid of it being too hot & freaking out there in the store, lol. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Here's a pic.

IMG00644.jpg

They have a nice flavor, but virtually no heat @ all. I keep eating pepper after pepper to see if I'd get a hot one, but nope. Blah. I picked up some promising looking cayennes, though. Anyhoo...anyone know what exactly these habs are? Are they just bred to have little heat?

One of the Numex Suaves of which there is orange and red..All the Chinese flavor..But none of the heat,Look tasty though :)

good call klyth!

just pulled some Aji Dulce #2's from my plant that are identical to these....and there is hardly any detectable heat...

Aji Dulce are great peppers. I prefer heat, but it's nice to just have a sweet one every once and again.

Klyth if you like Aji Dulce or Numex Suaves try Pink Habaneros lovely sweet taste fantastic with any hotter variety :)

imaguitargod said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This is just plain wrong having Habs with no heat.

I agree man...I agree. These things are ok, though. It's just a weird feeling popping one in my mouth & getting that hab flavor w/ no heat. It's kinda trippy.

Thanks for the info everyone!

ImpyChick said:
I agree man...I agree. These things are ok, though. It's just a weird feeling popping one in my mouth & getting that hab flavor w/ no heat. It's kinda trippy.

Thanks for the info everyone!

You could always use them to introduce newbies to the wonderful flavor of habs without melting their faces off too.

where's the fun in that SM?

I like the heatless C. chinenses as an alternative to bell peppers but I'm still searching for ones with more flavor.

AlabamaJack said:
where's the fun in that SM?

I agree 100%. No fun.

Habs was the first experience I ever had with a seriously hot pepper, and if they had been mild they never would have captivated my interest.

They should melt your face off.

Skyjerk said:
I agree 100%. No fun.

Habs was the first experience I ever had with a seriously hot pepper, and if they had been mild they never would have captivated my interest.

They should melt your face off.

If i conned my mom into trying a hab honestly you'd see her face splashed all across the news because there'd have to be a county wide hunt for the pieces of me. I'd wind up in a woodchipper if i dared to do that.

Sickmont said:
If i conned my mom into trying a hab honestly you'd see her face splashed all across the news because there'd have to be a county wide hunt for the pieces of me. I'd wind up in a woodchipper if i dared to do that.

:lol: My Mum only has to touch the door handle after I've chopped up chillis to have me hung, drawn and quartered and she has to touch her eyes more than anyone I've ever known.

Your poor mom..I hope you have your own knife and everything to cut up your hot ones..A sandwich a day and all that :)

I actually thought about that...I have a friend that I think would really like the flavor of a hab. I'm planning on giving her one.

BTW...those promising cayennes? They're only alright :(.

Back