• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Super Hots Canada - Grow 2014-2015 (Starts on Page 12) - I have a greenhouse now! YAY! :D

I suppose rather than starting a new topic each time I update you all on my progress, it's better to stick to one...

So to begin with, I just have a small update for today:

My largest Cayenne (which I just pruned back in the past couple of weeks) is finally growing it's very first flowers. This is one of six Cayenne's that I originally bought as seedlings. This one has taken off the best. The rest seemed to have struggled to grow.

20130920_073946_450x600.jpg

One of my young Jalapeño (I believe) plants is also starting to flower. This is one that I started from seed and it's showing a good many more flowers than the Cayenne, shown above, even though it is far smaller and younger.

20130920_074030_450x600.jpg

Seeing them start to flower, I decided to add some more Tomato mix (5-7-7) to all my plants to hopefully help them along the way.

I water my plants with a 20-20-20 plant feed every couple of weeks, occasionally I'll spray them down with an epsom salt mix and if the roots start to show I'll add some 3-in-1 (or 4-in-1) soil blend to top them off.

How often ought a person add tomato mix/bone meal/soil to their planters (indoors) to keep them growing and healthy - any suggestions?

The very first sign of buds on my Carolina Reaper:

20131228_221319_600x450.jpg

Also, I have 2 Jalapeno pod's that are growing fairly well, and the flowers on my Habanero plants, and some of my Naga Jolokia, are in bloom - but so far none of them appear to be putting off any pollen. I hope they'll adjust soon and start producing some flowers that do! :)

So excited! A few days ago I planted a couple of the Brown Naglah seeds I received from Buckeye Pepper Company and already one of them is starting to sprout!

.. I'm not near the computer so I had to post to Instagram instead of uploading to my site as I usually do :)

*grooves happily*

*EDITED: Picture instead of link*

So, I went away on Monday, to visit my girlfriend for a short New Year's vacation, and came back on Wednesday (January 1st)..

Monday, December 30, 2013 marked the day I said good-bye to "Frank" the baby Super Chile I was growing for my girlfriend as I took 'em to his new home:

frank.jpg

.. He was the very first pepper plant that I grew from seed that I didn't have to trim somewhere along the way. He was also the very first that I tried growing from a seed that was plucked from a fresh pod and put into the ground right away. So proud. I hope he does well. *crosses his fingers*

Next up is a small photo showing the largest of my plants in my main grow room.. I went away for a couple days only to return and find that -all- of my Naga Jolokia plants, and even my Reaper, decided to have a burst of growth while I was gone. I'm not complaining at -all-, but I do find it curious since I discovered that my mother had set the light to 600w instead of 1000w and the temperature in the space was in the low 20's (Celsius), instead of the high 20's... Before I left most were spaced rather nicely, not overlapping much and not hitting the sloped ceiling/wall. When I returned I found they're much taller and had branched out like -crazy-... Meanwhile, some of the smaller plants had dropped some leaves.

grow-room.jpg

And lastly, my baby Brown Naglah - 3 days after he peeked out of the ground:

brown-naglah.jpg

.. I came home just in time on New Year's day. Not long after I got home he started drooping from being under-watered.. So I quickly watered him and within an hour he was nice and perky again. *phew*

My babysitter did -alright-, but it still had me scared and worried.. so this is what it's like to be a parent lol

What a nice looking plant Frank is.....glad he's gone to a good home. ;)  Glad to hear that the others perked back up for you. :dance:

Penny said:
What a nice looking plant Frank is.....glad he's gone to a good home. ;)  Glad to hear that the others perked back up for you. :dance:

Thanks :) I'm crossing my fingers - my girlfriend is spending a few days with family. So a day after leaving him alone with her, she's already leaving him by himself. Luckily she has a nice apartment where she can set the temperature & it'll keep pretty steady.

It really does sound like we're talking about a real baby doesn't it :rofl: . My babies are grown and out of the house, so now my plants are my new babies...next to my grandson, of course. ;)

Here's a prime example of why I have to grow indoors...

winter.jpg

But on the bright side, I may have some Carolina Reaper flowers soon!

reaper.jpg

.. I've noticed with the Habanero's, Naga Jolokia, and now the Reaper, that often several buds will grow from one node, compared to the Super Chile & Cayenne that only seem to produce one per node. I'm noticing that Annuum's seem to be a lot more abundant when it comes to fruiting, though, and that Chinense seem to grow much more sturdy.

Speaking of which.. Here is my baby Brown Naglah starting to grow it's first true leaves:

brown-naglah.jpg

.. And my couple of Jalapeno's are doing well (with a 3rd possibly on the way on the other side of the plant that'll hopefully balance it out some lol):

jalapeno.jpg

The way my plants are growing, I can't really put off building the grow space in the basement much longer.. I'm using what material we have left in our basement to piece it together and it's looking like, in the short term, I'll have to dish out for some plastic tarps to use as the walls.

My original planning from a few months ago had the measurements at around 13' to 13' 1/2 long by 6' to 6' 1/2 wide and around 6' 1/2 in height. Since I'm limited on material I started looking at how to make the best of what I have... So now, rather than build an entire frame & ceiling, I am instead only building 2 out of 4 walls and using the basement walls as the other two. My original intent was to avoid the drain that runs along each wall of the basement, but I figure I'll just cover that with chicken wire. My other intent was to build a ceiling for the space, but instead I'm just going to use the basement ceiling and do my best to seal off the space & hopefully keep mice & cats out.

So at this point, the space is probably going to be just over 14' long by 7' wide.

Here's how the space looks:

basement.jpg

.. As I'm sure you can tell, our house is pretty bloody-well old and the basement walls are all worn and cracked. I intend to scrub down the floor with floor cleaner & Javex and to cover those walls with reflective material before I move my plants in.

I think the middle photo gives a bit of an idea of the space of the space. You can see a chair on the far right with one of my cats curled up in it. lol

The photo on the right kind of gives an idea of where I am planning to have the make-shift door. It won't be a -real- door (even though we have a spare one that you can actually see in the left of that photo) since the structure won't be strong enough to hold a real door.

Once it's built and cleaned up, then my next challenge will be running an extension cord from somewhere to provide power - without running the cord along the floor since sometimes the drain overflows. And after that will be working out how to get it heated to the right temperature before moving my plants down (we have a limited supply of spacial heaters that are pretty much all in use lol).

Looks like a great makeover project, SH!

Should be a very serviceable space for your grow!

PaulG said:
Looks like a great makeover project, SH!

Should be a very serviceable space for your grow!

Thanks! .. and I sure hope so.. I'm pretty sure it'll give me over twice the space that I currently have upstairs in my bedroom, where most of my plants currently are.

My biggest concern is the dampness & possible mold. Years ago, in another part of our basement, tree roots actually managed to push through the concrete walls. So it does have me a bit worried. That, and that gutter that runs along the wall. We do have mice & moles that make it into our basement and the gutter leads to a pipe that exists our house, underground, and exits off the side of the bank that's on the other side of our driveway... so who knows what muck might be festering in that gutter. lol

That aside, I plan to go shopping for the tarps & reflective blankets (which have worked great upstairs) tonight. Need to get this done ASAP. When I went to water my babies last night I could barely get around them. lol

If I can pull this off, then I think I'll have enough room that I can safely plant at least one or two more plants from the seeds I got from Buckeye. I'm thinking the "007 Red" and "7 Pot Bubblegum" (or maybe the Barrackpore? no clue which might be better of those two).

A small space heater and a small fan could do a lot to
mitigate any mold/mildew problems.  Our garage is
heated by a vent in the furnace duct, but otherwise
pretty drafty, but no real humidity problems.

Mice and moles?  Sounds like a job for a cat!

PaulG said:
A small space heater and a small fan could do a lot to
mitigate any mold/mildew problems.  Our garage is
heated by a vent in the furnace duct, but otherwise
pretty drafty, but no real humidity problems.

Mice and moles?  Sounds like a job for a cat!

Well the spacial heater is a necessity given the temperatures we have... in my current space I have one somewhat like this running 24/7. When my HPS is on I usually have it set to around 1/6, but in the last few days it's been so cold I've had to up it to around 3/6 or higher. With the light off I usually keep it around 3/6 and that usually keeps the temperature around 81-84F. Last night I only had it at around 3.5/6 and when I got up today the temperature in the space was only around 73F... The basement space might need a couple of the heaters the way things are going lol

And naturally, fans are a necessity to circulate the air, anyway. :)

And we have -11- cats. One only stays in my room, but the a number of the others are pretty good hunters. Actually heard them chasing one down in the basement tonight. lol .. But I still worry that the rodents will get into my space once it's built and eat my plants. Grrrr

Sounds like you have everything under control, SH!

Even a cadre of cats on patrol!

PaulG said:
Sounds like you have everything under control, SH!

Even a cadre of cats on patrol!

And -that- is my one other major concern - the cats. They love plants. They love eating them and they love rooting through dirt. And one of them (the one in the photo up there) even loves spicy food (although, he shied away from the dried Reaper I got from Buckeye). lol

So I gotta keep cats AND mice out.

Back