• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Sugar Snap Peas

Has anyone grown Sugar Snap Peas? I am growing them for my family and was wondering when I should germinate the seeds?
Thanks
Josh

Josh,

Never have grown them but most peas are direct sown, that is, the seeds go into the garden, container, whatever and are not transplanted.

Mike

I start my seeds the beginning of March here. That is 6 weeks before last frost date for my area. Peas like it cool. It may take a while to germinate as peas will wait for the soil temp to raise before germinating, but usually only takes about 2 weeks for me. You can check with the extension for a more exact date for your area, but everything I have seen says "when the soil can be worked in the spring."

jacob

Good question Josh since I too am growing them this year. Thanks for asking and thanks to the folks who have answered, I would have never guessed to sow them before the last frost.

I too am going to be growing sugarsnap peas for the first time.
I have heard anytime after the beginning of February here in the Raleigh area of NC. The local ag extension here says the last frost date is the first week of April.
Right now I plan on planting them in the middle of February.

In southern OH, we would plant them in mid-April, give or take a week depending on the weather. Our last frost day is mid-May.

Mike

Virginia Tech says Mid-March for Zone 6 Virginia. Last frost is Mid-May, so 6-8 weeks before last frost looks to be a good range. I shoot for April 1st.

As a side note for those who haven't grown them before: Most snaps, especially the old varieties like Sugar Snap (6 ft) and Super Sugar Snap (4-6 ft), require some sort of support - be it pea sticks, trellis, fence, etc. Some of the newer "dwarf" varieties, like Sugar Sprint (2 ft), don't need support, but still can benefit from it.

Just an fyi.:)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I am looking to start them around April 1st. I will probably use one of those cheap trellis nets (whatever you call them) for support.

I used the trellis net with supports every 6 - 8' or so, and the weight of the plants nearly pulled it down. I would suggest a support post every few feet to help hold the weight and keep the net taught. I used the cheapo green poles from lowes.

Good luck!
jacob

jjs7741 said:
I used the trellis net with supports every 6 - 8' or so, and the weight of the plants nearly pulled it down. I would suggest a support post every few feet to help hold the weight and keep the net taught. I used the cheapo green poles from lowes.

Good luck!
jacob

Thanks for the heads up.
I am not a fan of those green poles. I used wooden stakes last season and was very pleased.

I always soak my snap peas in warm water for 24 hours before planting, it really helps them get a good start. Typically I do this by putting them in a cup of water and setting the cup over one of the furnace vents in the floor, so warm air occasionally blows across it.

Last year I grew Amish Snap next to my 4 foot tal woven wire fence. The plants grew to the top of the fence, and then kept growing another 3 or 4 feet up. They are tall!

I've grown surgar peas before & just place in ground early-mid May if a little too cold they tend to chillout before growing. never had a problem with any frost issue.
1 season I just place a stake on each end of the pea row & tie a string to them, & as the peas grow just place on the string & let them hang.
this season I was planning on doing kinda a hanging method for the peas so I could just stand there & pick pea pods, in some kind of trough letting the plant just hang over.
plans change...no garden for me this season.

Ciao Josh-

I do successive planting with peas because our family loves a large supply of them. I always gamble with the first sowing in mid-April, as we can get snow still. The worst environmental damage I've seen is hail, however. I'm going to rig up some sort of row cover when they emerge this year so I won't lose an entire sowing like I did last year to our early Spring hailstorms. I grow mine along a low hurricane fenceline with an extension of a frame of pvc pipe with galvanized metal wire secured to the top of the fence. This works well and withstands most windstorms.

I just put horse wire up and let it grow up on that. Great support, horse wire is cheap and can be reused every year. I am going to grow some sugar snap beans this year too. I am also going to grow some of these

Red+Noodle+Bean.jpg

I grew some green ones last year on accident. They package had snap beans on the label but they were yard long beans. I didnt complain, they were REALLY REALLY good.

Mjdtexan said:
I just put horse wire up and let it grow up on that. Great support, horse wire is cheap and can be reused every year. I am going to grow some sugar snap beans this year too. I am also going to grow some of these

Red+Noodle+Bean.jpg

I grew some green ones last year on accident. They package had snap beans on the label but they were yard long beans. I didnt complain, they were REALLY REALLY good.

Those look very similar to Chinese Red Noodle I grew last year. Early in the ripening season, they could grow 6-8" in a day!

Mike

Mjdtexan said:

Got the seeds from Reimers? :lol:

MrArboc said:
Got the seeds from Reimers? :lol:

No, they were purchased at Home Depot in the garden center. I dont remember what company name was on the package. Who is Reimers? I got these red ones from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. If you dont have one of their catalogs you should get one. Its a great company (so far) and their catalog is impressive. Free too.

I am going to attempt to sell some of the Red Noodle beans on my road side stand this year. If they are popular I am going to grow a bunch more of it next season.

Baker Creek - www.rareseeds.com

No need to get the catalog, they have an on-line store. Unfortunately, they really cut way back on the descriptions as well as the variety of seeds they sell. There also seems to be fewer seeds per packet this year than in previous years or the price has taken a nice hike (Tabasco went from $2 per pack to $2.50, for instance).

Mike

Back