• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Stunted plants

Hi, So my first year growing i used John nines no.1 for seeds and no.2 for repotting plain tap water and chilli focus fertiliser and my plants grew fine but last year i bought all my soil from a local hydroponic store (bio bizz soil ) bought a Bluelab PH Pen altered the ph to 7ph everytime i watered them bought some expensive fertiliser brand called yellow bottle nutrients and for some reason all my plants were very small and stunted i know it can happen for many reasons but i cant figure out why why.? Maybe it’s the soil.?… What soil brand and fertiliser are you using.? (UK)

Last edited:
Hi, So my first year growing i used John nines no.1 for seeds and no.2 for repotting plain tap water and chilli focus fertiliser and my plants grew fine but last year i bought all my soil from a local hydroponic store (bio bizz soil ) bought a Bluelab PH Pen altered the ph to 7ph everytime i watered them bought some expensive fertiliser brand called yellow bottle nutrients and for some reason all my plants were very small stunted i know it can happen for many reasons but i cant figure out why why.? Maybe it’s the soil.?… What soil brand and fertiliser are you using.? (UK)
Not that I think this is what caused it, but pH should be closer to 6.5 for soil, they usually have buffers in the soil also. Overwatering them will stunt them, maybe the new soil had more moisture retaining materials?

I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Fox Farm Grow Big and Tiger Bloom nutes.

Last edited:
I buy the cheapest seedling compost, keep an eye on watering, temperature and feeding
other than that, I treat 'em mean and the plants do pretty well

did you check for bugs and gremlins?

Not sure if it available in the UK, but I use FF Ocean Forest and Happy Frog for seedlings.

As these mediums already contain nutrients, I never fertilize my plants while indoors. After plant-out in late May, I only use fish emulsion and liquid kelp, with a little Cal-Mag if I see any blossom end rot. I do add several nutrients to my garden soil a month or so before plant-out.

I do use filtered tap water; from the refrigerator while indoors (allowing it reach room temperature, of course), and thru three stage cartridge system after plant-out.

Perhaps you could post some pics of your plants?

Back