• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stuffing pepper experience

Well trolling THP long enough certainly introduces/encourages one to try all sorts of things. ie drying and making your own pepper flake seasoning or eating entire pods. Well recently I tried my hand at pepper stuffing and though pleasantly surprised with my results, I must say I was a bit bummed by my stuffing pepper choices. Specifically the heat. I tried 4 to get a feel for what I like:

Anehiem
Cubanelle
Pablano
Jalepenos

Truth be told, they all except the jalepeno reminded me of plain old bell peppers for taste. The Cubanelle and Aneheims had ratings of 500 - to 1000. No listing was posted for the Pablano. Though the numbers were low, I really thought the heat would at least be detectable....nothing doing, each one was about as sweet as they come so I ended up droping some of my own fiery flakes in the stuffing. Makes you wonder why they even bother rating them, but I guess like jalepenos, a buyer may actually find one with a little kick on it. Wish it were me yesterday. :)

All in all, I enjoyed the experiece and steer towards the lighter green peppers for flavor....the exception being the jalepeno. The pablano wasn't bad, just boring to me. All 3 really taste like bells, but lighter colors seemed a bit sweeter.

Next runners up will definately be some of the smaller hotter variety...me thinks a few Habs and bonnets will do nicely. :D

Well trolling THP long enough certainly introduces/encourages one to try all sorts of things. ie drying and making your own pepper flake seasoning or eating entire pods. Well recently I tried my hand at pepper stuffing and though pleasantly surprised with my results, I must say I was a bit bummed by my stuffing pepper choices. Specifically the heat. I tried 4 to get a feel for what I like:

Anehiem
Cubanelle
Pablano
Jalepenos

Truth be told, they all except the jalepeno reminded me of plain old bell peppers for taste. The Cubanelle and Aneheims had ratings of 500 - to 1000. No listing was posted for the Pablano. Though the numbers were low, I really thought the heat would at least be detectable....nothing doing, each one was about as sweet as they come so I ended up droping some of my own fiery flakes in the stuffing. Makes you wonder why they even bother rating them, but I guess like jalepenos, a buyer may actually find one with a little kick on it. Wish it were me yesterday. :)

All in all, I enjoyed the experiece and steer towards the lighter green peppers for flavor....the exception being the jalepeno. The pablano wasn't bad, just boring to me. All 3 really taste like bells, but lighter colors seemed a bit sweeter.

Next runners up will definately be some of the smaller hotter variety...me thinks a few Habs and bonnets will do nicely. :D

If you are looking for heat in your stuffed peppers, I would not consider the Anaheim or the Poblano. These are used by many restuarants for chile rellenos because the heat level is very low and can be acceptable to the general public. The jalapeno will give you more heat than the others you mentioned, but not everyone can handle that amount of heat. Your thought on bumping up the heat with other varieties is a good one. It's all good my friend.

Keep in mind too that when you de-seed the peppers to stuff them you're removing a lot of the heat, and then when you cook it you're removing even more heat so you basically need to start with something hotter

Richoso - I've never been much of a raw pepper eating type of guy so I had no idea anything with an actual rating could taste like it had nothing at all. Still it's only the heat I'm knocking, I really enjoyed the size and shapes of these guys. You can get pretty creative with the stuff you put in.

Potawie - I munched the placenta of each. I de-topped each with a circular cut and pulled the whole thing out using the stem. None of the peppers produced so much as a fizzle....I then used these same tops to cap each pepper for cooking....the jalepenos were too small to do this to, so i just scalped, scraped and stuffed. lol.

Though I don't mind seeds, the jalepenos are plugged with placenta so I had to scrap that out to get anything in. The experience should make working with habs and bonnetts a snap.

IMO if you want a really good hot stuffing pepper, you need to grow some Trinidad Congos...they are large red habaneros and great for stuffing with typical habanero heat...

is that too hot?...

AJ, is it a thicker flesh for a hab? I don't like stuffing thin walled peppers.

If the heat is not good enough for the pepper you can always up the stuffing!

IMO if you want a really good hot stuffing pepper, you need to grow some Trinidad Congos...they are large red habaneros and great for stuffing with typical habanero heat...

is that too hot?...

Too hot? Heck no! ....says the man whose never tried a Congo pepper in his life. Lol. If it's not hotter than a chocolate Hab, I'm good. Lord knows I'd try hotter but for pleasant dinning purposes, choc hab, little more or less is my benchmark for straight pepper munchn fun. :D Anything hotter needs to go in a pot of something. :rofl:

Yeah, thick fleshed (poblano, peno, pube) for stuffing and adjust heat and flavor with preference.

Congo, Yellow Scorps and Yellow 7s do make a nice stuffer with a kick though. ;)

yup...Trinidad congos are much thicker fleshed than a standard orange hab...or at least the ones I am growing are...and they are pretty big too...most between the size of a ping pong ball and a golf ball...some bigger than a golf ball...and the heat is between an orange hab and a chocolate hab from what I have eaten...

Dang it Alabama J...it sounds like I need to add yet ANOTHER pepper to my 2011 grow list....the Congo sounds like a winner. What's the flavor profile like? Fruity hab or possibly fruity scotch bonnet....please don't say SB cause I'll have to order tonight if u do.

to me the flavor profile is a cross between hab and SB...

Morning AJ. Hey, just ran a search for Trini Congo with the only two sources i trust when it comes to seed (still reviewing refining chiles) but only came up with:

Trini Hab
Congo Yellow
Congo black

Are either of these the one your referring to?

Hey Silver Surfer. How'd you find that Congo Trini? lol. Beth is certainly one of my two and i looked but seems I completely missed this one. Thanks for the link. Im thinking this is the one AJ was refering too.

I've never really tried stuffing the smaller, hot peppers. I usually grow some Giant Marconi's then just add some of my hot sauce to kick up the heat.
The only hot pepper I could think of that would be close would be the red devil's tongue. They're big for hot peppers, fairly thick fleshed, and hot. They're bland, though.

What about rocotos? I've always thought these were great looking stuffing peppers but have never tried. I know there's a few that are pretty hot.

Hey Silver Surfer. How'd you find that Congo Trini?
Easy, I am the Silver Surfer. ;)

What about rocotos? I've always thought these were great looking stuffing peppers but have never tried. I know there's a few that are pretty hot.
Rocotos/Manzanos are my fave for stuffing, bar none. Stuffed with 50/50 Pepper Jack/Cream cheese makes a nice simple airy stuffing that compliments and doesn't overpower the fine taste of the pepper.

Tried some Habs this weekend and...yuk. Came out slimey and soft. Heat was right on but the fruity notes were drowned out by the smokey ones...I dunno, maybe I need to change my filler with something less fatty/greasy. Really didn't care for the snot tissue texture. :sick: Glad I only made two to experiement with.

That's what I was gonna recommend. Another one you *might* get an occasional 'kicker' out of is the Beaver Dam. I grabbed a pretty warm one this year, telling my wife they weren't too hot. Oops.

Also, if you want to season to taste for heat, and like sweet, too, Acancaguas are my favs to stuff. Huge, sweet, thick fleshed and yummy.

Back