misc Stuck Fermenter Weight

So help me figure this out!  We were cleaning up some wide mouth jars and these fermentation weights.  During the wash in the sink, this weight found its way into this pint size glass jar and became stuck.  I mean as in it won't budge.  It won't wiggle side to side.  It want pull out.  It doesn't move at all.  Just like its made in there with the jar!
I tried pouring dish soap in there as a lubricant but it still didnt budge.  I thought of thermal expansion/contraction and used hot water to no avail and then tried putting it in the freezer to see if that would work.  Nope.  Still stuck.
I know I could just break the jar to retrieve the weight but would rather not if possible.
Anyone out there have a solution other than breaking the jar or just saying the heck with it and tossing it into the trash.  
Here a some pics.  (The weight is glass)
wAdRpXE.jpg

WQiChf7.jpg

Thanks for any ideas.

Only idea I can come up with is to put the jar in a larger container of hot water and use a computer air duster, held upside down, to chill the weight. In theory the jar will expand and the weight will contract. Though, be super careful and make sure you do it in a well ventilated area and wear gloves and safety squints. Soft grip tweezers or tongs to help jiggle the weight out if flipping it over and lightly tapping on a soft surface doesn't get it to budge.

push the jar down into a bowl or pan of hot water.  Don't let the water inside the jar.  You just want to heat the outside jar.  Hopefully it will expand enough to get the weight out.  Might want to tie a string around the weight so it doesn't fall further down in the jar. 

Worst case, you might have to sacrifice the jar for the weight.

Good Luck....let us know...

Good idea, demented, to use the compressed air. I thought about ice, but that would put cold on the jar as well.

salsalady said:
Good idea, demented, to use the compressed air. I thought about ice, but that would put cold on the jar as well.
That's what's nice about the air duster; pin pointed freezing.

Though again, well ventilated area. It's usually LPG or 134A inside those cans. Will typically net you -40*F to -13*F.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
2. Fill jar with ice cubes-put in boiling water - wait - attempt removal

Id worry that the shock of putting an ice cold jar in boiling water would break the jar. The principle is spot on, just be careful.

salsalady said:
Id worry that the shock of putting an ice cold jar in boiling water would break the jar. The principle is spot on, just be careful.
In my experience, even with pyrex (not PYREX, yes, there is a difference), the thermal shock will definitely lead to shattering glass. 

So far I tried sitting the jar in hot water and tapping the jar upside down on the kitchen counter to dislodge the weight and it didnt work.  I don't have any computer duster stuff but I have to run some errands today and will try to pick up some.

Thanks for the ideas. 

Where I live a Mason Jar is way cheaper than an air duster can... just saying

My suggestion would be to put the lot in the freezer and once it's cold, hold the assembly by the weight (with some tongs if your fingers don't reach) and lower the jar into some room temp water. The weight should stay cold while the glass jar expands.

Having said that, the jars are cheap and the weights expensive. The cost of your computer duster spray is probably more than the jar itself. I would just break the jar if all "free" heating and cooling techniques have failed.

The thickness of the weight causes it to be blocked.
I would try to pull fixedly from the point on the outside that corresponds to the radius perpendicular to the diameter given by the points tangent to the jar. A twine tied there and light and repeated pulling could unlock. 

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
So I'm Tagging Everyone to touch base and ask a question.:

Most of us are suggesting submerging an empty jar as part of the procedure - most in water above tepid in temp. Would a jar lifter help with this ?

71KLckMWLkL._AC_SS450_.jpg

I don't own that kind of tool yet (I should buy one though!) but to answer your question NECM: I guess so.

Bou said:

I don't own that kind of tool yet (I should buy one though!) but to answer your question NECM: I guess so.
Ditto.

I didn't even know those existed. I just use silicon tipped tweezers which are essentially the same thing, just a different shape.

SineNomine said:
I would try to pull fixedly from the point on the outside that corresponds to the radius perpendicular to the diameter given by the points tangent to the jar. A twine tied there and light and repeated pulling could unlock.

I have no idea what all that means.....but do what they say! ^^^^

:lol:

In a nutshell, pulling force from where the two pieces of glass meet on either side.

SineNomine, sound advice. This would probably work way easier than trying to heat and contract the two pieces. I've had to do that to jiggle gauge pins out of the exact size hole and it does work. Maths, it's wonderfully evil.

Success!
Seems that most everyone is leaning toward the thermal expansion/contraction method.  So I ran my errands today and the store I stopped by didnt have the compressed air duster stuff so I came on back home.  Bou put the idea in my head that this wasn't worth a whole, whole lot of effort and expense.  Before I left I put the jar in the freezer so both items had time to get really cold.  After being in the freezer for about 5 hours, I ran a bowl of hot water from the kitchen faucet (~130F)  and set the jar, bottom end submerged for about 1 minute and then turned it upside down and immediately tapped it lightly on the counter.  It worked and there was no damage to either! 
Thanks everyone for the ideas.  
55vYU4u.jpg

SineNomine, on 14 Apr 2021 - 2:54 PM, said:

SineNomine said:

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head on this one.  Been many many years since I had geometry.  (That is geometry right?) Sounds awesome though!  Thanks SN.

Back