• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Strange Growth

Why the hell is my Fatalii doing this??

IMG_9967.JPG

I know what it looks like (broad mite), but I'm quite certain it's not for a number of reasons. Firstly, after several close inspections, I have yet to detect any on there (and believe me, I can spot the buggers a mile away!). Secondly, there is none of the bronzing on the undersides of the leaves associated with broad mite attack. Thirdly, the Californicus mites are smashing the broad mite ATM and this plant would be the only one showing signs of broad mite attack at this point in time. Fourthly, the plant has been like this since I started it back in Autumn (our Autumn here) or whenever it was--and if broad mite were hitting it this hard, it would be dead by now. And lastly, there is just something plain different about it compared to all the broad mite damage I've seen in my time.

I would be thinking toxicity of some kind but as plants very close by are not showing any similar signs, I'm not too certain of that either. Does anyone know if Fatalii has any particular sensitivities to anything?

Weird, huh?

Could be any number of pests, fungi or virus causing that gas. Could be root issues or nematodes even??

Its quite strange I have extremely similar damage on my plants but I was 95% certain it is caused by broad mite and thrips.

My younger plants are not showing the bronzing either but they have a similar leaf curl deformity issue ... I still put it down to mite/thrip/whitefly issues

Could be any number of pests, fungi or virus causing that gas. Could be root issues or nematodes even??

Its quite strange I have extremely similar damage on my plants but I was 95% certain it is caused by broad mite and thrips.

My younger plants are not showing the bronzing either but they have a similar leaf curl deformity issue ... I still put it down to mite/thrip/whitefly issues

Weird thing is though (I forgot to point out), look to the right of it and you'll see a volunteer coming up right next to it--touching it/growing in between it even--and is showing absolutely no sign of whatever is going on. I could be wrong but I would think if it was fungi/virus, it would most likely have been passed on by now (the volunteer has been growing there for a couple months now)? I know through experience that broad mite would have scrambled over for sure. I should point out too that the Fatalii was doing this prior to the volunteer popping up so I don't think it is causing this either.

Whatever is going on, it's just nuts. :crazy: Might try pruning it back to a stick and putting it in some new soil in a pot and see what happens.

With the narrowing cupping leaves only on one plant looks like mite damage. If the stems were becoming twisted that could be a sign of a virus, also if adjecent plants become ill.

With the narrowing cupping leaves only on one plant looks like mite damage. If the stems were becoming twisted that could be a sign of a virus, also if adjecent plants become ill.

Broad Mites?

I really don't think this is mites--or at least not broad mites. Trust me when I say I've had enough experience with the bastages! ;) In my experience, for the length of time this plant has been doing this, it would be dead now or at least looking like a dead twig if it was under attack. And plus the mites would have spread to plants in the same vacinity by now for sure. And another thing, not saying I'm necessarily right by any means, but my intuition is telling me this is not the work of broad mites. Although I know from first hand experience that broad mite damage can manifest differently on different plants, this is something I have never seen before. There is definitely something different about it.

Virus came to mind too but the closest match I have been able to find is Curly Top Virus... and it doesn't seem to match that either. Plus for the length of time it has been growing there, I would assume it would have spread by now?

I dunno... I think to be on the safe side, I'm just gonna ditch the thing. It's not like it's a full grown plant or anything so I'm not gonna be ahead of the game if it does come good or anything.

looks weird mate maybe you should ask mez he can make a weed look amazing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You sure its a Fatalii? Looks more like Basil to me :lol:

Thanks guys... a lot of help! :rofl:

Basil. :rolleyes: :P :lol:

Back