• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Storing seeds

What is the best way to store seeds? Should I store them in air tight containers or in paper envelopes, or .......?
pepperpikker

I went to a craft store and bought a bunch of small baggies (they should be in the bead section). They are like "dime" bags. I put them in a small container and stick em in the closet on a shelf. Haven't had any issues.

Put em in small baggies, then into an envalope then put em in a cool dark place like a dresser drawer or closet

Ask 100 people...get 110 answers. There are a lot of ways to do it. For me, I air-dry them for 10 days in paper envelopes, then put them in ziploc baggies with a desiccant pack I saved from you name it. I then put them in the butter tray in my beer-fridge. Seems to work fine for me.

It doesn't matter how you store them as long as they stay cool and dry. They should also stay away from strong light. They will last a few years without refrigeration but can be chilled or frozen to make them last even longer. I just successfully germinated seeds at a high percentage that were almost two years old and stored in nothing more than a ziploc bag.

What is y'all's average shelf life on seed? I'm finding that my germination rates are very similar even with 2-3 year old seed for both peppers and tomatoes. Past that and I see a drop off, but it's just anecdotal and I haven't measured it.

Anyone keep any liquid nitro on hand? Kidding.

I was wondering about this my self. I tend to keep them in envelopes in an old cutty sark box of my grandfathers in my closet.

With Desicate of course.

Cutty Sark used to come in boxes? I went through a few old bottles of that when I was sad and too poor for single malt hahaha

Yeah - its a thin pine box, with a plexy front with a boat on it.
It has a rope handle.

I saved it from the garbage, and made it my seed box :D

I clean the seeds as much as possible, and air dry them for a couple of days. I then put them in paper packets and lable them for type and date collected. I put the packets in mason jars that have indicated desicant in the bottom. I then pull the air out of the jars with a vacume sealer, and then store the jars in a dark, cool location. For long term storage, I put the jars in the crisper section in my refrigerator, with a cover over the jars so that the light doesn' affect them.

Back