• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Stinky Squid??

I was out checking out our smaller flower beds around the house & found this half way out of the ground in one of them. I thought it was one of my son's toys half buried, so I knocked it over & looked at it for a minute trying to figure out wth it was. It STINKS! It looks like it was coming out of an egg. I did some googling & the closest think I can find is Pseudocolus fusiformis, aka Stinky Squid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocolus_fusiformis

Anyone ever had one growing?

This one doesn't show the "egg"
IMG_2049.jpg

That's the "egg" in the top left
IMG_2064.jpg

After washing it off with some water, the "egg" is @ the upper left leg
IMG_2077.jpg

Another view with the "egg" on the right side
IMG_2084.jpg

its most likely some sort of phallaceae stink horn like fungus. they stink like that to get flys and what have you to move the spores for them. i read some book..."mushroom miscellany" that talked about how Victorian women would demand that their servants walk around the property and kick stink horns down.. becauce they look so phallic. they even have a sort of sack... they emerge from.
im pretty sure they will grow anywhere weather permitting. just need grass clippings or mulch or something woody.

never seen anything like that myself.

edit: grammar

Quite interesting- sorta pretty. I have a lot of rotting wood around and get a few fungus and mushrooms every year. I tend to them (like they really need my help) as if they are my babbies. Some around here really believe I grow intentionally (for what I have little clue). Some get quite large and some are as small as a mouse all add to the
beauty of my yard :)

Back