• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Standard Habanero?

Hey guys,

I went to my local nursery today to look at germination supplies and also peeked at their pepper plants as well. I noticed they had some labeled simply habanero and not orange, yellow, red, paper lantern, etc. etc., and I've also seen some seed packets online that are the same way. Just curious what exactly would these plants be? Is there a variety that's considered the standard habanero?

Thanks

Most likely an orange habanero. Most of the chain stores don't even realize there are other varieties out there than habanero, cayenne, tabasco and jalapeno...

Peppermanias "Mystery pack" might be just the thing...

I've got a few varieties of "Hot Pepper" i could SASBE to ya. Bwahahahahaaaa!

Egore,get out my seed collection...

PM me Belltol12.
(Not an invetation to the whole world.Sorry I don't have that many seeds.)

Yep, probably orange habanero. BUT... this may not always be the case. Last year I think it was, I went to a local greenhouse and got what were labeled "Habanero" plants, and the label even showed a picture of an orange habanero. The peppers actually ended up ripening to red, but the peppers definitely were habanero-shaped and the plants grew like habaneros (short plants, wrinkly leaves). The peppers sure tasted good, though.

I didn't pinch off the early buds off of those plants (I bought four of them if I remember right) and they weren't located in an optimal location (light-wise), so the plants never got much bigger than they were when I bought them and they produced very few, small peppers. :(

I am experimenting by pinching the early buds on not just some, but ALL of my plants this year. Those that I pinched last year produced anywhere from a bunch more, to a shitload more peppers.

If its truly a habanero then it should be orange, but it could also be labelled improperly which seems to be quite common these days

thanks guys, I assumed it would've been orange since that's also all you see in the local markets around here as well. Just wanted to ask though because we all know what happens when you assume lol.

hi! this is my "standard" habanero:
URHEX.jpg

the seeds were from the institute "ipk gatersleben".

Back