spidermites

Hello all

I was had sprouted some reapers and fatalis. all was going well, they grew about six inches tall thats when my wife noticed little red specs on the leaves. which under magnification turns out to bee sed spider mites. trying to cure this issue i used diatomaceous earth and several rounds of insecticidal soap but to no luck. the spray would kill the ones there but days later there seemed to be twice as many. they never bother with the strawberry plants. so anyways after spraying the plants every other day i gave up and tossed them out and will try again. so i was wondering where do these pains in the ass come from and what can i do to avoid this in the future.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks  Again

420dude

420dude said:
Hello all

I was had sprouted some reapers and fatalis. all was going well, they grew about six inches tall thats when my wife noticed little red specs on the leaves. which under magnification turns out to bee sed spider mites. trying to cure this issue i used diatomaceous earth and several rounds of insecticidal soap but to no luck. the spray would kill the ones there but days later there seemed to be twice as many. they never bother with the strawberry plants. so anyways after spraying the plants every other day i gave up and tossed them out and will try again. so i was wondering where do these pains in the ass come from and what can i do to avoid this in the future.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks  Again

420dude
liquid ladybug for plant

regularly hosing the leaves can help reduce the numbers--they don't grow resistance to physical removal.
guessing you're inside? can't really do much if they're abundant in the vegetation around your place, they will come in riding on a breeze whenever the windows are open, and once they're in, they'll reproduce like crazy in the predator-free, dry, and warm indoor environment.

I just try to keep the numbers down...

Raising humidity (70%), lowering temp (<70F) and insecticidal soap mixed with essential oils or prefered miticide applied 3-4 times at 72hr intervals works wonders on mites. Or skip the last step and order predators, they're quite effective in the right conditions (temp, humidity), and if diapausing or supplied with an alternative food source, can work preventatively. Bi-weekly sprays of neem oil work as a preventative as well, just avoid the clarified hydrophobic version of the oil.

Slow the boat..... Until this year we had tons of little red mites. However, they were not the kind to damage plants. Instead, they were predator mites - they eat plant-eating mites. So before you go after the mites, best to make sure what type of mite they really are.

Note I said "until this year"... for some reason they did not appear this year. I've never had mite damage on my plants in the years they've been here, but now my plants do. I want the little red dudes back.

Mite damage is most often one of two forms in chiles. Some mites suck out the cell contents of leaves. It will appear that a hole is in a leaf, but if you look very closely you will find the skeletal remains of the leaf in the "hole". The other kind makes new growth come out narrow and twisted. If your plants aren't exhibiting any signs of these, likely the mites are good guys.

Any time.  Glad to hel....  Well, glad to be around while other people helped.

420dude said:
grew about six inches tall thats when my wife noticed little red specs

I even held off quoting this until you had a decent answer.

...I swear, I'm not actually 12.

Back