• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Soil mix, with rabbit poop ?

Thinking of using rabbit poop for a mix. Needing to get a better mix for draining. I have a hard time getting much for soils to add for a great mix. Most of the soil for sale has alot of clay in it. Other than that can get Coconut coir rough ground, and fine. Then there is sand, rocks. Easy to get that. Harder to get Peat moss, Pealite. Now thinking of getting rabbit poop to use as if I can't buy it, I can always get a rabbit. Just thinking could be better to add at the mix ?????

Is sand good to add to get better draining????

Hi Exavier,

Coarse silica sand allows for small air pockets and also provides for drainage.

Sand also adds significant weight to the pots, just in case you were concerned about the howling wind moving them around on you.;)

dvg

EDIT* see my new comment on fresh rabbit manure in a post below.;)

I was told that rabbit poop is one of the few manures that can be added straight to soil without being aged or composted first. But I'm no expert, and have never tried this myself. I would be interested to see what others think about this. As far as drainage goes, the coarse coconut coir sounds like a good option.

I just did a search on rabbit manure, and it turns out it can be used in it's fresh state.

Here's a link:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-use-rabbit-manure-as-fertilizer

dvg

Back