soil Soil Conundrum

This year I decided to try my hand at growing peppers.  I kinda just dove head first into pepper growing and I've made some terrible choices with my soil and fertz for the 20 odd plants I currently have in pots.  To a greater or lesser extent my peppers are in either of the following soil mixes:

1. Premium potting mix - with the pre-packed fertz
2. Premium potting mix cut with water retention "soil improver" and a few scoops of added fertz balls
3. Cheap potting mix with no pre-packed fertz included or any added.
4. Some hybrid of the 1-2 haphazardly mixed together.

Needless to say I have over fertilized and my plants don't seem to be very happy.  I cant flush them as the damn fertz balls are still in there and I really compacted the soil too to make matters worse.  The only plants that are doing OK are in soil mix 3, the cheap as chips potting mix.  They are a little slow to grow but at least they are growing strong and not dropping leaves, getting fertz burn and fingers crossed they will hold their flowers and pod up (unlike my others).  

Now that I'm more 'aware' of what I'm doing (thanks to reading this forum and asking this great community for tips), I'm going to make a new soil mix and re-pot them.

I have 26 gallons (100 litres) of perlite, 26 gallons of cheap potting mix (nothing added) and 10 gallons (40 litres) of premium potting mix to have a second attempt at a decent soil mix.

It might be a closely guarded secret for all I know, but if anyone can recommend a good mix from what I have to fill a series of 4-5 gallon (16-20 litre) pots I would be very grateful.  Lastly, any re-potting tips to reduce the stress to the plants would also be gratefully received.

Rainman

If it were me I would add all 3 together and use it. The more perlite the better and the less fertilizer in the soil way better. I mix my own soil and never add any of those non organic fetilizers in and don't buy soil with it because you can't control what the plant eats. Your right Flushing the soil won't help. Can you repot the ones you already have in a new soil mix? I can give you a great soil mix but it sounds like you want to use what you already have so mix all 3 together and Grow....If you want a good pepper soil mix:

The 5:1:1 mix: 5 parts pine bark fines (partially composted fines are best)
1 part sphagnum peat (not reed or sedge peat please)
1-2 parts perlite
garden lime (or gypsum in some cases)

I will definitely re-pot the ones I have.  Yeah, I will use the basic potting mix that has no fertz or anything fancy in it.  Worst case, I will use a 50/50 split with the perlite, but I was toying with cutting in some of the premium, but if I can fill all my pots without it I might just try that.

Is it worth sprinkling a little dolomite lime in the mix as I have a big of that too?

Repot sounds like you soils a little hot. Tmudder on you tube has a great mix. bx, perilite, casting in bottom, compost bark.

Rainman said:
I will definitely re-pot the ones I have.  Yeah, I will use the basic potting mix that has no fertz or anything fancy in it.  Worst case, I will use a 50/50 split with the perlite, but I was toying with cutting in some of the premium, but if I can fill all my pots without it I might just try that.

Is it worth sprinkling a little dolomite lime in the mix as I have a big of that too?

Yes you can use Dolomite. What I do is mix my soil,put in a container, PH my water to 6.5 pour in the container and then check the PH of the water coming out and adjust my soil accordingly.

96strat said:
Repot sounds like you soils a little hot. Tmudder on you tube has a great mix. bx, perilite, casting in bottom, compost bark.

thanks 96strat... the soil in the pots will be on the hot side, but we are going through an insane heat wave too which is not helping!
Brain Strain Pepper Head said:

Yes you can use Dolomite. What I do is mix my soil,put in a container, PH my water to 6.5 pour in the container and then check the PH of the water coming out and adjust my soil accordingly.

Good idea, I will do this.  I really want to get the soil right this time!

As some of the plants are reasonably big and bushy (about 1 ft tall / wide) any tips on transplanting them?  I have a "volunteer" to help me get them out of the pots, but I don't want to stress them unnecessarily.

Thanks Brain Strain. Three transplanted to ground and the rest to do tomorrow - ran out of light and the mozzies attacked me so I retreated to the TV with a beer :)

Also, I can probably add my water to the list of problems my plants have been facing.  pH tested and its about 7.5-8.0!!!  

Will be playing around with some vinegar tomorrow to see how best to get it down to 6.5.

Back