• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

So I may have done something awful or wonderful....

We have about a 40x6 foot strip we garden in every year. For the past few years we grew tomatoes, a variety of peppers, cucumbers and a couple pumpkin plants. We take some seeds and dry them for the following year.

So wifey's in making a salad with our first cucumbers of the year and she tells me, shit, I need milk. That stuffed pepper you gave me is still burning. She has some milk, a few minutes later she's got the salad on the table and again, still whining about the pepper she ate half an hour ago.

Then I see her take a cucumber slice from the salad and give it to our 8 year old, he says "OW that's spicy! Turns out Wifey's been eating the same things as she was making the salad and never tied the heat to the cucumber.

I tried one.

These cucumbers are SPICY. The outer 1/4 inch is spicy as a jalapeno! Cucumber-ey and spicy at the same time, it's weird, and yummy! I guess something got crossed somewhere!

G

That's very interesting Garp...do you recall the variety of cucumber you grew...if it was an heirloom or a hybrid?

If it was a hybrid, it may have reverted back to an earlier form of one of the parents.

But that is definitely one way to spice up a salad! :mouthonfire: :cool:

dvg

Save some seeds and make sure you let some of the future cucumbers ripen right up on the vine to ensure you get viable seeds. Could be a massive market for that sort of thing. Imagine a nice cucumber raita with spiced cucumber delicious.

Were the cucumbers cut on the same cutting board as your peppers. There may have been some oil on the board.

I did a couple of Google searches on 'spicy cucumbers' and nothing came up except for those types of recipes.

You might have something interesting there!

Good luck with those! :mouthonfire: :woohoo: :dance:

dvg

That's very interesting Garp...do you recall the variety of cucumber you grew...if it was an heirloom or a hybrid?

If it was a hybrid, it may have reverted back to an earlier form of one of the parents.

But that is definitely one way to spice up a salad! :mouthonfire: :cool:

dvg
They are heirloom seeds, I took them from last year's cucumbers, planted from seeds from the year before.

Well then, hopefully the saved seed will still carry over some of the heat to next year's crop.

If there are not any spicy cucumbers out there on the market right now and your seeds turn out to still carry the heat factor...

...they could very well be worth something in a monetary sense.

I wish you the best with those fiery cukes...that may have a difficult time remaining as cool as the proverbial cucumber! :cool: :rofl:

dvg

im in the same boat. Definitely save some seeds! I am all for SPICY CUCUMBERS!! Something different than everyone out there.

Theres still a few small cukes on that plant, once they get ready to eat I'll make sure to isolate, test and keep the seeds from them if they turn out the same way.

I wouldnt say oil on the board I would say oil on the knife. I had some oil stick to my knife cutting peppers and it would not wash off until soaking in some milk.

Check your isolated cukes. And tell us what you find out.

Spicy cukes would be pretty cool but I'm with the guys who think there's a pepper connection on the knife or cutting board or perhaps the wife's fingers. Please keep us posted!

SO, went to a gardening tips presentation for Utah's unique growing environment, the presenter was awesome. I mentioned my spicy cucumbers. and the guy was like, ya, plant peppers right in your cukes, you get spicy cukes. so, guess that's it. More hot cukes!!!

Back