• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoking on the weekend

So I smoked a 9lb porkloin. Need I say more? :D
pepperseedlings074.jpg

After 6 hours
pepperseedlings080.jpg

Good smoke
pepperseedlings085.jpg

Too light on the rub, you got some color but no bark. To keep the bacon from burning you need to mop it a lot and also foil it for periods of time.

Hit it with apple cider and a spray bottle or mop. If you season the concoction, use the mop, not the bottle (oh, not a real mop, a small one made for BBQ ;) ) lol.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZGUHU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thehotpepper-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0007ZGUHU

to finish what THP was saying by seasoning the mop will clog the spray bottle definitly use a bbq mop or lightly brush - I figured that one out the hard way :doh:

Looks great though - which did you like better? bacon or no bacon?

The bacon turned into a nice crust that stayed on even after I sliced it. The rub was too light to really tell that it was there. But next time........I'll do better!

to finish what THP was saying by seasoning the mop will clog the spray bottle definitly use a bbq mop or lightly brush - I figured that one out the hard way :doh:

Yup, been there, done that! :lol:

The bacon turned into a nice crust that stayed on even after I sliced it. The rub was too light to really tell that it was there. But next time........I'll do better!

Hey man then keep doing the bacon that way. On the rub, remember it's a coating, you should not see any white or pink at all. In order for it to create a bark the sugars need to melt and caramelize to create a crust with all the other spices. If there is not enough sugar you will have a spice layer with no bark (it will wipe right off like wet rub). If you simply don't have enough rub, you will get what happened here. Cheers and happy experimenting! Even the failures are good!

Thanks again ALL. I really appreciate the advice as I am pretty new at smoking.

Man I really love The Hot Pepper! This place is great!

Anybody feel free to post what you smoked on the weekend :drooling:

Back