• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoking Congo Black Peppers

I am getting ready to order some Congo Black peppers from AJ and think I want to smoke them to make powder. So far, I have not found much info on the search for this. Is this a good pepper to use for smoking, and if so, what flavor chips/chunks do you think I should use? I have only eaten one fresh Chocolate Habanero before and I absolutely loved it. Thanks.

I have used apple wood, mesquite, hickory, and pecan. I cut the pods in half and smoke at the lowest temp possible then into the dehydrator.
Had some extra humid conditions on one batch. Took a very long time in the dehydrator. I think they lost a bit of flavor due to that but were still good.
Recommend making some plain powder too, without smoke. Smoke is good but doesn't go well with everything.

I smoke the pods whole. Jalapeno-Serrano I smoke at a higher temp 170* because they are meatier.

Jolokia,Habs and thinner peppers I smoke at 130*.

Thick peppers smoke for up to 15-18 hrs then air dry for a couple of days if the weather is dry.
Thin peppers smoke for 8-10 hours and air dry. If its humid I dehydrate both until krisp.

Darker peppers I like heavier wood flavor. Pecan-Hickory-Mesquite. Yellow-Orange-Red peppers I like apple.

This is the way I like best. Try and see what you like. Unless you burn them they will be good.

I prefer a 50/50 mix of mesquite/apple or mesquite/cherry. To me, all mesquite overwhelms the taste of the chile. I've cold smoke chocolate bhuts and turned them into both powder and hot sauce - the natural earthy/smokey taste of the chile was compliemented by the smoke from the mesquite blend.

ChileAddict,

Patrick posted this thread, which I thought had a lot of good info.
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/17727-smokin-a-few-pods/page__p__377104__hl__smoking__fromsearch__1#entry377104

Someone else had a post that listed and described all the different woods used for smoking. If I can find it I'll link it.
SL

Thick peppers smoke for up to 15-18 hrs then air dry for a couple of days if the weather is dry.
Thin peppers smoke for 8-10 hours and air dry. If its humid I dehydrate both until krisp.

What type of smoker are you using with those smoke times, out of curiosity?

I like to smoke low and slow for several days at low temps, with milder woods such as maple or fruit woods. Thin walled peppers like congos can not take much heat so you'll want to keep temps very low which may be slightly difficult with a weber

Thank you everybody for your replies. I am using a Weber Kettle for smoking. With 4 lbs of Congo Blacks coming my way, I need to get the process down quick. Yesterday and last night I did a little trial run with about 20 Bhut Jalokias just picked from the greenhouse. For me, the challenge has been to maintain a low consistent heat in the Weber and I'm getting it down. Patience and giving myself alot of time is so important. I'm just so infatuated with WickedMojo's Smokey Ghost powder that I want to learn how to do that too.

Thank you everybody for your replies. I am using a Weber Kettle for smoking. With 4 lbs of Congo Blacks coming my way, I need to get the process down quick. Yesterday and last night I did a little trial run with about 20 Bhut Jalokias just picked from the greenhouse. For me, the challenge has been to maintain a low consistent heat in the Weber and I'm getting it down. Patience and giving myself alot of time is so important. I'm just so infatuated with WickedMojo's Smokey Ghost powder that I want to learn how to do that too.

The easiest way for me to learn was to count the amount of coals by using a weber chimney.

1/4= temp
1/2= temp
3/4= temp
1= temp

Top vent is always 100% open and the---in my case--- 3 bottom are adjusted. This will greatly control temp and burn time on the Webers.

Also remember the thermo will measure the dome temp NOT the grate temp. Mine is also 6* high of the actual temp.

Here is something that could be applied to a kettle. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chipotles.html

Back