Smokenstein 69

Thought I'd introduce myself by showing off my homemade BBQ/Smokepit.

smokenstein8.jpg

The name "Smokenstein" was originally used for my first smoker, which was just one of the small offset smokers you can get at Wal-Mart for around a hundred bucks. I outgrew the original Smokenstein quickly, but kept using it until I was able to get my dream smoker built. The "69" was added to this one (originally was just going to be Smokenstein Jr. or Smokenstein II) because after a few 30 packs of Busch and a weekend of setting the CMU with a few of my friends, we measured the walls and the interior from opposite corners came out to be 69". This was not planned... just happened to come out that way and hence I'm a firm believer in destiny!
After the CMU was set, I worked on the tops, and my wife... as a Father's Day gift... started bricking around the structure.

I finally got a welder to build the doors and racks for me this fall and we were up and running in early November.

The "firebox" on the right side is basically as big as a standard fireplace, so we go through A LOT of wood... especially when doing a brisket or pork butt that requires 14-18 hours of constant fire. Above the smokebox front door, we have a steel plate (I've called the "smoke shield") to help direct the heat and smoke into the "smokebox", working essentially as an offset smoker. There's an interior wall with a cinder block turned on it's side for the smoke/heat to travel through. The original intention of the design was to use the smokebox side for smoking, and then to use the top of the firebox side to build fires above the smoke shield for direct grilling. But, I've discovered that the top of the firebox side actually works well with the smokebox side... as it gets up around 400 degrees up there and holds plenty of smoke as well, so with most of my meats, I'll start them off on the firebox side to get good caramelization and seal in the juices and then move the meat over to the smokebox side to slow-smoke it from there.

On the firebox side, I have 2 racks set side-by-side, and on the smokebox side, I have room for 4 racks (two racks per level) but I haven't set the bottom set of racks yet. This thing is so big that until I'm cooking for 100 or so people, I've got plenty of cooking space with one level.

I'm still getting to know Smokenstein and it's trends. I've found that it takes several hours before the heat maxes out (which makes the rack above the fire extra useful). I'm not a big fan of depending on thermometers, so I pretty much just judge the meat by look and feel. So far, everything I've smoked has been either the best, or close to the best smoked meat I've ever made... but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

In the month I've had Smokenstein 69 up and smoking, I've fired her up 7-8 times. Smoked a Thanksgiving turkey and ham that turned out excellent, many racks of ribs, hot links, smoked sausage, salmon, brisket, pork butt, and my new favorite meat to smoke... beef ribs (I never have been able to get these quite right until finding the mystic balance of teamwork using the firebox and smokebox side together!).

There's still some bells and whistles to iron out here. We're going to touch up some of the mortar work and clean up and seal the brickwork. I still have to finish the chimney so it's not just a concrete block sitting up there. And one of these days, I'd like to get a metal plate with "Smokenstein's" name on it. But the important thing is it's smoking and smoking well.

Looking forward to discussing smoked meats with you fine folks here and hopefully will be able to share some "wisdom" I've picked up along the way as well.

Cheers!

Wow man that thing is killer, nice job. I am looking forward to seeing some of the product that comes out of that thing.

Nice work -- hope to do one out of brick myself someday. At what level does the smoke enter the chamber? You may want to set some oven gauges at the different rack levels to check for heat equality. What maybe 250 at the top rack maybe 300 or higher at the lower racks -- I see the one gauge on top.. just my .02 until you can get a good handle on it. I know the temp going into my chamber is about 25deg (F) hotter on that one side which is good to know for the "ends" -- good luck with it

LUCKYDOG said:
Nice work -- hope to do one out of brick myself someday. At what level does the smoke enter the chamber? You may want to set some oven gauges at the different rack levels to check for heat equality. What maybe 250 at the top rack maybe 300 or higher at the lower racks -- I see the one gauge on top.. just my .02 until you can get a good handle on it. I know the temp going into my chamber is about 25deg (F) hotter on that one side which is good to know for the "ends" -- good luck with it

Thanks for the compliments. I haven't set the lower racks yet so haven't tested that, but obviously the heat will be more intense down there (at least on the right side closer to the fire). Right now, just using the top racks, it's not as much of a concern because the racks sit about 16 inches above the smoke holes.
I'm not much for depending on thermometers. When I bought my first smoker, I bought the floor model because that was the only one they had left. When I got home, I discovered the thermometer had fallen off at some point during the transfer to my house. So ever since then, I've just smoked without it.
I did buy one of the thermometers that you sit inside on the racks to test things out, and everything seems pretty even... a little hotter on the right side... Nothing an occasional meat rotation can't take care of. :)

Hmm, it looks like it's attached to the concrete underneath....isn't that going to make it hard to ship it to me for Christmas? :lol:

How much is the rent? Passow needs a place :lol:

I figured he would be one of the first to comment for a member named Smokenstein! Wow that is impressive. And your wife did the brickwork? Wow. As someone said, please post pictures of the results OFTEN!

Excellent way to spend a day, sitting by the smoker. Good looking piece of equipment you have there. Oh, welcome.

Txclosetgrower said:
Hmm, it looks like it's attached to the concrete underneath....isn't that going to make it hard to ship it to me for Christmas? :lol:

Yeah, sorry about that. We figured doing it this way would make it so Smokenstein69 can double as a storm shelter for when the tornados come. And if we have to stay inside for a prolonged period of time, there will be plenty of edibles caked on the inside for nourishment!

Alright, I made sure to take pics this time. Nothing real special here, although maybe a little more appreciated here because these items are of the hot variety. We picked up a package of hot links from a cajun meat market called Hebert's (pronounced "A-Bears") here in Tulsa. Threw them on the hot side along with some chicken thighs I've had soaking in some Louisiana hot sauce. The chicken was injected with the hot sauce, then marinated in the same hot sauce, and then I sprinkled some Zatarain's creole seasoning over it when I threw it on Smokenstein, and basted with the hot sauce while cooking. I didn't do anything to the links besides let them smoke.

Here's the before pic:
121308_raw.jpg

And here's the aftermath:
121308_done.jpg

Well, gotta run now, and see how it tastes.

That is awesomeness and win.

As someone who used to do chimney work, that thing is amazing for home-built.

How'd ya figure out the plans, demensions, etc?

Good friggin' job mate.
happy0034.gif

Now that looks really nice and down right finger licking gooooooooood. Did you make the sausage? opps I need to read a lil closer the links look good

QuadShotz said:
That is awesomeness and win.

As someone who used to do chimney work, that thing is amazing for home-built.

How'd ya figure out the plans, demensions, etc?

Good friggin' job mate.
happy0034.gif

Well, I roughed out a 2-dimensional plan in Photoshop and went over it with an architect friend of mine over lunch at Hooters. He roughed out a drawing then by hand to figure out how many concrete blocks we needed and where they would be placed. Then I went with a couple other friends and picked up the blocks, mortar, a couple 30 packs of beer, and we got to work. We basically would lay out one row at a time before mortaring and then got to work. Probably took 5 times longer than it would've with someone who actually does masonry work, but it was some good male bonding and an interesting learning experience.

My architect friend had all this old brick in his backyard he was trying to get rid of, so we used that, which I think looks a lot cooler than using brand new brick. Question for you though, since you do chimney work... I'd like to clean up the brickwork a bit so the mortar doesn't look quite as messy and bring out the "richness" in the brick. I was thinking of using a grinder to lightly grind a layer off the surface and then find some kind of sealer or something to richen and preserve the color. Does that sound like a good plan, or do you have some better ideas for enhancing the brick?

okie joe said:
Now that looks really nice and down right finger licking gooooooooood. Did you make the sausage? opps I need to read a lil closer the links look good

OJ, do you live in Oklahoma? If so (and for anyone else), you should check out Hebert's (the place where I got the links) next time you're in the Tulsa area. They serve a limited lunch menu with some pretty tasty cajun eats, and have some pretty good meat and sausage selection, along with a wide array of hot sauces, seasonings, etc. Here's their website: http://www.hebertsmeats.com/

As far as the results of this meal are concerned, it was very good, but I prefer the hot links at the fresh meat counter at our local supermarket, Reasor's. The sausage was a little denser than I like, and wasn't as spicy as I like it. The chicken was very good and I'm looking forward to smoking some wings using this method.

Smokenstein said:
Question for you though, since you do chimney work... I'd like to clean up the brickwork a bit so the mortar doesn't look quite as messy and bring out the "richness" in the brick. I was thinking of using a grinder to lightly grind a layer off the surface and then find some kind of sealer or something to richen and preserve the color. Does that sound like a good plan, or do you have some better ideas for enhancing the brick?

Well, since most of the brick I worked with was old as well, (we did a lot of restorative work), we scrubbed it down like the next day with with a hydrocloric acid solution.

It's been over 20yrs since I've done that, and i'm a bit fuzzy with the details..so, here's a pretty good explaination:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infmur.html

One key phrase: Always add acid to water... never add water to acid!!
Stuff IS very dangerous, but they outline the dangers pretty well.

Hope that's useful for ya. :)

-qs

Back