• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Slugs?

Anybody got a good kill for slugs? We've found holes in my habs and Mrs. Nakana's Sun Coleus' but the only pests we've really seen are the occasional ladybug or some slugs.

if you google it or do a search on here, you'll find lots of ways to do it......but, this is my first year growing and i had instant great results from the egg shell method, and it was cheap as hell, and i continue to do it every few day, and its a good way to naturally get calcium in your soil too!

If you are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice, make a beer trap. The love the smell of beer and will fall right into a shallow dish full of beer and drown to death.

Make a circle of salt around your plants if possible. Some might say it's cruel, but they make the choice of sliding on to it themselves.

Some say that ground coffee on top of the soil helps. I never tried it as I never had that big of a problem, I just picked them in the early morning and dropped them in hot water. I also made sure my garden was free from old leafes and other debris they could hide under. A good idea if you have mice or if you for some reason don't want snakes around... Haven't seen a single slug this year. (Knock on wood - :pounds himself on the forehed: )

This is basically the worst damage from slugs my chileplants suffered last year:

2756238716_5262627743_o.jpg

Copper also stops them, as the static charge that builds up on it is enough to give them a nasty shock!

If you go for the really cheap (well, not really cheap, as copper is now an expensive commodity) solution of using old coins to encircle your plants, use pre-1990 pennies. Post 1990s are alloys (not true copper coins) of cheaper metals, and not effective.

If you keep livestock, let your chickens into the area where you keep your pepper plants. That way you'll get slug control AND fertilizer in one go! :)

Aji Chombo said:
If you keep livestock, let your chickens into the area where you keep your pepper plants. That way you'll get slug control AND fertilizer in one go! :)

Yeah, but they always seem to place the fertilizer where I need to walk. :D

Back