• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Slow Release Fertilizers

Does anyone use slow release fertilizers like Osmocote in your pots or raised beds when growing peppers? I'm interested in hearing opinions on this.

Chris

I have used the MG pellets that are 10/10/10 for 3 months. I had very good results. I can't compare it to any other fertilization program because that is what I have been using for several years.
My orange Hab from last year was about 3 ft around and 3 feet high full of large pods. I had a Aji Yellow that was 4+ feet tall and had many pods.
Unfortunately I moved at the end of Sept last year and couldn't take the plants with me.

I plan on using the same fert again this season.

I've used a lot in the past, but as I've mentioned before its the lazy gardeners fertilizer, and if you run into nutrient problems it becomes difficult to correct or flush out. I personally like to "read" what a plant needs and feed accordingly usually with organic fertilizers

POTAWIE said:
I've used a lot in the past, but as I've mentioned before its the lazy gardeners fertilizer, and if you run into nutrient problems it becomes difficult to correct or flush out. I personally like to "read" what a plant needs and feed accordingly usually with organic fertilizers

I'm using Osmocote (19-6-12) for the 1st time this year. "Lazy Gardener" label fits me to a tee. Especially during golf season. I think the key is to under fertilize rather than over. I just used to add some bone meal mid summer in the past after they started making pods.

I am with Potawie on this one...I like to be able to control what my plants get and when they get it...

If you are growing in containers, check the back of the MG label...It says "for potted plants, use...."...I read this last year and emailed MG about using this exact MG 10-10-10 product in containers...MG advised me not to use the pellets in containers because the nitrogen is released pretty quick at first, then it is gone...then MG recommended using the MG Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food...

You can buy pro-mix(or many other brands) professional container mixes which contain time-release fertilizers and they work fine. I like that sort of mix for hanging baskets and plants requiring low maintenance. Just water and go!

I'm giving a big thumbs down on this one.Last year I used these and my plants had major bud drop.I'm using Ocean Forest in gallon/6" pots after plants reach 6" in starter cups.Healthiest plants I've ever grown.No feeding nessesary at all.When they hit 1' I'll transfer to multple gallon containers with promix and eventually use some nutes.Several are pretty much at this stage.I'll post pics tomorrow,50 mph wind today they wouldn't sit still...
Side note:I grow in containers only.

I use Osmicote in my seed trays for my plants, but use a mixture
of commercial fertilizer and grain "meals" in the garden to feed
the plants after they are transplanted. Before I started using
Osmicote I would have a tendency to over fertilize the seedlings.

ButchT

Back