• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade shade cloth anyone?

Check out Farm Tek www.farmtek.com

They sell just about every color and every density from 10-90%. The also have different widths and will do any customizing you might need. I got mine from them, and they are great people over there.

I think I've already provided a link to where I get my stuff...if not, just google Kinney Bonded Warehouse. That's where most major nurseries get their stuff from so why not a little person like me?

with all the rain we've been getting im not sure you'll need it!

563496_389258941127267_407824565_n.jpg

with all the rain we've been getting im not sure you'll need it!

no joke! i had a wheelbarrow for mixing soil filled completely with like 10"+ of water. from the past two weeks. its 100% not under a roof edge or anything... crazy.

some of my plants were starting to become deficient in calcium from being drenched every singe day... its been impossible to fertilize them for like almost 2 weeks, and what i water im just got leached out from the rain.
not exactly sure why they showed calcium...and not someting else.

i think i may just go with 40% white cloth over the entire area. seems to be the cheapest and most reccomended cloth. im growing in an area surrownded by 4 walls, so i think ill just move the annums when the heat is at its worst such that they are shaded mostly. i think im going to roll back about half of the cloth when the brutal august heat is done with and allow the chinenses full sun again.
i decided against the aluminet because im afriad it will look ridiculas and draw the ire and attention of my neighbors.

these damn "california bell" plants man... they are such a weak weiner plant. the home depot bells i got last year were so much more heat tolerant. i definatly made a giant mistake in leaping before i looked buying these seeds bell seeds.

last year i was able to harvest like 5 or 6 really nice looking green grocery store sized bells from each plant during these hot ass months months before the plants caught some mystery virus and go chucked...

edit: thanks for all the reccomendations, ill let you guys know what i order and how it works out.

I use leftover screen from the porch... read somewhere that it works out to be about 40%... only using it as a one-side shade for the area that gets the most direct sun though...

The plants behind it seem to be very happy though, so may end up using more in other areas at some point...

picked up a pair of 12x10 50% shade cloths.
apparently im late to the game because everyone but greenhousemegastore was sold out of 40-50% cloth/ aluminet.

lol, how many lbs of peppers can you buy with 120 bucks? im guessing its way more than ill ever grow :rofl:

yea, i could have gotten some bulk cloth 50% for alot less... like 60 bucks shipped, but w/e. i didnt want to wait for it to come back in stock at gemplers.

i choose to think of it as "stimulating" the economy of Illinois;where greenhousemegastore.com is apparently.

My plants certainly appreciate their shad cloth. My only problem is a couple of the peppers are outgrowing the height of 5 and a half feet. My thai peppers are rubbing their heads.

wow qq...you went big time with the reinforced edges and grommets...I just bought the bulk shade cloth without the edges being reinforced, then cut to the right size...

nice.....

yea after seeing and feeling this stuff, i dont mind haveing payed so much for it. i just hope it outlasts my interest in growing stuff.

I have had my 50% up for 4 years and my 30% up for 3 and no complaits...just stretch it pretty tight...

hope you don't mind and I will take a few pics of my shaded area and post them for ya'....I have mine attached with "grabbers" and zip ties.....

K...you gotta remember, I am an old shade tree mechanic....

This is the 50% cloth area I grow tomatos, scotch bonnets, and white onions in...when the tomatos and onions are done, I pull them and plant pepper plants ...

this is the north end of the bed...I made a frame of 2" PVC to close the bed in...I did this because the birds were eating my tomato's before I could pick them....the shade cloth is attached to the PVC with zip ties

07-20-12b001.jpg

it is against a west fence...fence runs ~N-S...attached to the fence with hooks...

07-20-12b002.jpg

this is the "outside" of the shaded raised bed area....

07-20-12b003.jpg

that whole area is 50% shade cloth...

this is where I attached the 30% shade cloth to the PVC structure...

07-20-12b004.jpg

this is where it is attached to my storage shed (north attachment)...

07-20-12b005.jpg

and this is running down the west side of the house....

07-20-12b007.jpg

that's a pretty good area of the 30% shade cloth and it kinda sagged in the middle more than I wanted so....I fixed that....ran a 1/4 inch or maybe a 5/32" piece of poly coated galvanized wire...

07-20-12c001.jpg

and these are to keep it tight..this is the south attachment

07-20-12c002.jpg
07-20-12c003.jpg

lol i had to google 'shade tree mechanic', i took that literally for a minute.

nice setup, similar to what i had in mind.

and yea, zip ties are no joke. 2 of them act just like a turn buckle for a fraction of the price.

edit: oh wow, i love how your fence posts are galvanized steel. how long does that last compareed to crummy 4x4's?

thank you...it is very functional... :)

best thing it does is shed the hail....

galvanized steel. how long does that last compareed to crummy 4x4's?

forever....

put up half the shade cloth.... why only half?
because they sent me a 10x12 and a 12x12, under any other circumstances id be glad to accept an extra 24 square feet for free, but my space considerations make a 12x12 shade cloth all but useless.

at least greenhousemegastore's customer service is good in my experience, hopefully they can send me another 10x12 quickly.

Back