• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Separating seedlings?

It's my first time growing anything, and I've got about 35 cups laid out with 2 seeds per cup. It's been about a week now, and a cup with 2 serrano seeds in it is the first to break through the soil. I'm not sure which instructions I followed, but it should not have come as a surprise that the two of them are both growing. The instructions said to cut whichever one looked stunted, but they both seem to be doing well.

Is it at all possible to separate them at this point, or will that kill both and I should just cut one of them so the other can grow? The serrano are the least interesting of the seeds I have growing so I guess they're the most expendable, but I also don't want to kill the first ones that have grown if there's no hope of both surviving.

General growing question - I have the following peppers seeded:
Butch T Trinidad Scorpion
Chocolate Habanero
Pumpkin Habanero
Peter Pepper
Fluorescent Purple Pepper
Jalapeno
Serrano

Do any of them need special treatment to survive, or can I just treat them all the same? I've got them all in plastic/styrofoam cups on a table by a window, and I'm giving them up to 5 ml of water per day (usually less, but no more than 5, depending how dry the soil looks)

I have a few like that also. If they live they live if one dies well the other will do good

Thats what im doing. Be to delicate to seperate seedling roots

Sure I usually put 2-3 seeds in a cell of my germination tray. Just let the soil dry out a little and carefully separate them before they get too large. If your careful and the soil is dry enough it will just flake off the roots without damaging them much.

They're about 1" high at this point. Will the roots be everywhere and intertangled, or will they still be fairly simple? Does any care need to be taken when replanting, or just poke a hole, dangle the roots in, and support with soil?

Thanks.

Hey all,

I have a similar question as well. Someone brought me a pot with an already clustered situation. There are about 4 (very happy seeming) stalks with leaves about 6" high all just growing very close together. At this point, should I just cut down all but the thickest/tallest? The dude told me to just separate and replant them all, but they are already pretty big and I don't want to just end up killing them all. I imagine the root system is already pretty intertwined and messy.

it really depends on how close the seedlings are to each other. light lght i pant 3-4 seeds/solo cup to germ but i put them far enough apart that after they get 2 set of leaves i do what lght says and let it dry out and then lightly tap till the dirt falls off

I bought 4 red cayenne plants this year. Two of them have 2 stalks growing side by side. [so 6 plants total] -- I was told that I could just let them grow next to each other. So far, they seem to be doing really well. They are probably about 10-12" high, and thriving. Your mileage may vary...

Use a toothpick to loosen the soil around the base and it should come out easy. If the seeds were side by side with no space between, the root tangle will be minor. Then I use a pen and poke a hole in the soil where I want it and drop it in and press the soil in.

and remember we love
flash.gif

1" u should be laughing. I yanked mine apart far later from what looked like a real root entangle and yes there was ripping sounds etc. go slow and gentle, repot and hope for the best as there are no guarantees. I was lucky and didn't even lose a single Kid. Had others that were simply to far along and wasn't into the delicate separation process so have about 10 pots that have 3-4 kids in each pot but look like one really wicked plant ! All good !

The surgery seemed to be a success, they weren't entangled. The mud shook right off and I hardly think the roots were stressed at all.

2zhkxtd.jpg

Back