• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Selecting hydro nutrients?

hydroponic greenhouse? pics or it didn't happen. :cool:

Greenhouse is 30x130 with 5' of econet-t insect screen small enough to keep out thrips.

Me in 2500 Gallon tank that is buried under floor of our "tank house"

IMG_1708.jpg

One of my three propagation tables.

IMG_2221.jpg

A few pics lettuce growing in January.

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

Any questions let me know.

DAY-AM man! serious business. do you sell any lettuce to stores in the houston area? ill totally buy some.

im going to build two 2x6 E&F trays for lettuce when it cools down, planning on using coco... got any tips for a noob?

Check out Canna Coco. I have a few friends that use their stuff and swear by it. You could build your own system fairly cheap. I will take some detailed pictures of my propagation tables sometime next week and shoot you a PM. It's fairly simple, set the timer to keep medium moist, keep pH and nutes in check and watch stuff grow. The site that I linked in a previous post has some really nice smaller systems and of all the different trays that I've had theirs seems to be the best. They also make trays for a lot of the other company's but not sure of the brands. Any specific questions you have shoot me a PM and I will try and help.

If you want hardcore control over your nutrients (and save a bunch of money in the long run) you could try making your own. In the 1960's there was a European professor named Abram Steiner that tested all the variables and came up with a working formula you can start with. Just buy the individual fertilizer components, a scale and that is about it. Some of the components are pricey but should last you a long time, a lifetime perhaps. We are talking ~$300-400 total here but consider that those $15 quarts of commercial premixed nutes are mostly water with a few tablespoons of powder that ultimately costs just a few bucks.

For a primer on the subject The Growing Edge Magazine wrote up this brilliant article that has almost everything you need to get started making your own Steiner nutrient formula (An awesome book by they way - highly recommended). Here is a post to help you get started sourcing the raw materials.

Also, I came across this calculator for making your own nutes, pretty neat and free. For credit, here is where the calculator originated: http://allhydroponics.blogspot.com. He has a link to a free ebook on how to mix your own but at least right now the link is dead.

And here is a google book result describing the Steiner formula in academic detail

I have always wanted to do this but never got around to it. Getting the materials may be difficult depending on where you live but it is all available on the internet (of course)

yup,i make my own fertilizers out of necessity! if i bought liquid fertilizers from the hydro store, id be out like 500 bucks so far. but i dont consider this hardcore at all tho... just buy a cheep scale from harbor freight and load up hydrobuddy. its super easy.
i just picked up 10 lbs of calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate from a local place. i have to buy MPK and potassium sulphate online. epsom salt is obiviously available everywhere. i use plantex csm+b for micros.

Back