• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling Grow Lights

Anyone have any recomendations for grow lights I can use for seedlings until they big enough to go outside? I'm looking for something out of the box and not something i would have to build myself as I'm definatly not Mr. build it or fix it. Preferably low watt also because electricity here is ungodly expensive.

I am considering the 4' version of this product
http://homeharvest.com/propagationlighting.htm

Thanks.

FadeToBlack said:
Anyone have any recomendations for grow lights I can use for seedlings until they big enough to go outside? I'm looking for something out of the box and not something i would have to build myself as I'm definatly not Mr. build it or fix it. Preferably low watt also because electricity here is ungodly expensive.

I am considering the 4' version of this product
http://homeharvest.com/propagationlighting.htm

Thanks.

this will be one that you can easily search for and find thousands of pages on lighting....

example...I searched for "seedling grow light" and got this...read this thread

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=9749&highlight="seedling+grow+light"

You can go with something as simple and cheap as Florescent shop lights, like I did. WalMart has them and they have worked great for me. Or, you can go high tech and high dollar, spending as much $$ as you want.

Pepperfreak said:
You can go with something as simple and cheap as Florescent shop lights, like I did. WalMart has them and they have worked great for me. Or, you can go high tech and high dollar, spending as much $$ as you want.

What kind of 4' bulbs should I get? Cool White, Daylight etc?

I recommend you use a shade cloth of some sort.Lattice might even work.Screen actually offers some UV resistance and could be doubled up,and is cheap and avilable to you I'm sure!Good luck!

By the way,glad you found us and welcome!

scoville said:
I recommend you use a shade cloth of some sort.Lattice might even work.Screen actually offers some UV resistance and could be doubled up,and is cheap and avilable to you I'm sure!Good luck!

By the way,glad you found us and welcome!

Huh? Shade cloth for seedlings growing under lights?

Mike

Thanks Scoville!

You mean for protection from the direct sunlight?
We sell sheet of lattice 8' x 4' with 1" holes. You think that would work?
I also have Fiberglass and Aluminum screening available. Thats actually a great idea!

FadeToBlack said:
What kind of 4' bulbs should I get? Cool White, Daylight etc?

They make ones exactly forthis purpose called "gro tubes". At least that is what they are called here. They use them in aquariums as well and they throw out a different spectrum of light.

I don't really see a need for lites when you have perfectly good sunlite,hence the shade cloth idea.Yes,I would say the lattice would work quite nicely.You might want to roll some of the fiberglass over the lattice at first,couple rocks should hold it or some staples.Looks like we're storm free for the near future!

Personally, I use just the plain old 'Daylight' bulbs and they work incredibly well for me and they are cheaper than the 'grow bulbs'. Like I already said, you can spend a lot of $$$. I have had great success spending just a little $$$. The 'Daylight' bulbs have the full spectrum of light and that is what is important, IMO anyway.

Pepperfreak said:
Personally, I use just the plain old 'Daylight' bulbs and they work incredibly well for me and they are cheaper than the 'grow bulbs'. Like I already said, you can spend a lot of $$$. I have had great success spending just a little $$$. The 'Daylight' bulbs have the full spectrum of light and that is what is important, IMO anyway.

How close should these lights be to the plants?

FadeToBlack said:
How close should these lights be to the plants?

I keep my lights about 1 inch above the plants and move the lights as the plants grow.

Here is a pic of my grow room and how I have set up the lights, I think it may give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.
April2009017.jpg

Yup, a couple of $10 shop lights and daylight bulbs is all ya really need.

The 'grow-light' bulbs are nice, but not really needed at first IMO.

Well Im really happy to find out normal shop lights will work. Since they are easily available, cheap and low energy consumption. Just need something to get them on their feet untill the sun gets a little more forgiving this fall. Will also be trying the lattice and screening used in natural sun and maybe test how they both go. Thanks for your help guys

Well I decided I would go ahead and try and build my own design based on a commercial product I saw online. I'm also considering adding some mirrors or aluminum foil on the sides but I will see how this setup goes first. Here are some pics.

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

Back