• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Seed starting for Kratky hydroponics

Hi Guy's

After experimenting with Kratky hydroponics this season I'm looking to my 2024 growing season. Last season I started my first batch 5 seeds in small pots in a heated propergator.........after 5 or 6 varieties failing to germinate and therefore mucking up my plans !! 😢

Then beginning to panic I germinated my second batch in damp tissue in plastic bags in heated propergator this method let me quickly see what was going on.

Now toying with starting in rock wool ...........🤔

Due to our dark winter in rubbish summer here in Scotland I put my seedlings in my home made light box and then into the greenhouse as soon as temperatures allow.

My 2023 Kratky were convert raised in soil and then transferred into a kratky set up beginning of May (to late) I found plant's I transferred after this date just went crazy growing lots of new branches, leaves and size having a detrimental effect on pod production.

Currently I have a experiment under way, I sprouted some black Hungarians I pricked out one seedling and put in a tiny kratky set up and left one in soil both I've simply left on my kitchen window sil no artificial light. Currently it's getting light about 8am dark 3.30pm ..............

20231124_131351.jpg

Despite this neither seem leggy but the soil one is looking pretty poor .........I'm not planning on keeping these purely experimental.

Last season I started Nov/Dec partly due to a broken arm and cabin fever 🤪

However I think this was too early as I started to run out of space in my spare room I was forced to move them to the greenhouse and this was fine even in low temperatures however a week or two of very low temperatures kind of stunted some although most caught up. I've found April too late ! Definitely for me December/January I think is the sweet spot here for my growing situation obviously with artificial light.

Be interested to here how other hydroponic growers start ? Particularly in similar northern climates .......

Stephen

Last edited:
Back