• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds seed case problem

Just let it go and make sure it stays moist, it ill come off. A few people with very steady hands use razors and the like to cut it off without harming the leaves, but I am not one of them.

i just used my fingernail to ease it off... worked in 3/4 cases.. last case i had a headless seedling so apart from the fact that you probably dont have long fingernails.. its not a great idea :) I agree with Nova though, I think the reason I had a few was due to not burying the seeds deep enough (that and I kept disturbing things to see if there were any signs of life!)

You're quite right mel, i don't have long finger nails... but i do have a few headless seedlings lol. I'm sooo impatient!

Grimus said:
You're quite right mel, i don't have long finger nails... but i do have a few headless seedlings lol. I'm sooo impatient!

Yes your avatar hints at that ;) I like it!

I sowed 144 peat pucks, and half of them have popped up so far. Of that, I only had three that popped up with the seed case, and in all three instances I just left it alone and the cotelydons worked their way out of the case.

I can understand being impatient, these are hot peppers after all, but I think you'll have a better survival rate by just leaving them alone.

Somebody on another forum just buries their heads again and gently compacts the soil. Next time they stand up the cases come off. I use tweezers with 95% success. Just pinch the edges of the seed rather than the flat sizes.

mist the caps with a sprayer makes it easier to come off don't bother trying to pull off unless you are sure you are not going to destroy the cotyledons. no cotyledons is very bad:)

Every year I have a few that keep their hats on. Unless the seed coat is completely covering the cotyledons, I do nothing. If it is completely covering, I keep the cap moist for a day or two before I try to help out. Then I try to split the seed coat gently, not forcing it, instead of trying to pull it off. I also heard over on a tomato forum that moistening with saliva will help to soften it quicker. Never tried though.

jacob

I put a little drop of water, or spit :P, on the end of my finger and touch it to a seed cover that seems stuck so it gets moisture. The plant then pushes it off easier.

Noshownate said:
mist the caps with a sprayer makes it easier to come off don't bother trying to pull off unless you are sure you are not going to destroy the cotyledons. no cotyledons is very bad:)

woops, like Noshow said. (must read first....)

Back